Messed up GRUB

kYd

Help please!

To cut a long story short. I had Windows XP and Ubuntu on my laptop, downloaded and tried to install the new Ubuntu. It messed up half way through (probley a DVD defect I think) and now I can't boot into anything I got a GRUB 15 error. I tried messing around with Hirens boot CD to fix it nothing seemed to work. Got really pissed and used partion magic (on the Hirens CD) and did a few things and now it's saying my C: drive is unformatted. (still active and primary)

So how to I reformat my C: with NTFS but without losing all my data and 2 fix the grub??

Ah thanks!

Tried using mbrfix but Windows just won't load at all just get a black screen.

I think I've messed up the c: somehow (as I messed around with a load of program) because it says unformatted file system and the fact that it won't boot.

edit: Screenshot. Partition 2 is where Windows should be.

Screenshot-Disks%20Manager.jpg

Please tell me you didn't repartition the drive in the hopes of fixing this?

lol nope. It was about 3am and I was frustrated and, don't ask, somereason changed it from, I think, extendeded to something (logical i think, or primary) can't remember.

:?

So I'm guessing I somehow have to re-format it with NTFS but don't want to lose my data.

I've got an image of the drive but it's about 1month old.

Hate to break it to ya this way, but I fear that data is already lost.

See if you can do anything with The Sleuth Kit.

Oh rite :( Doesn't matter too much I only had Programs and that on the C: keep all my personal stuff on a seperate partition which seems to be ok.

I've just got to find a way of mounting that image file with drive image xml which is on an external harddrive.