Cloud Storage on the Cheap

Thones

Hey All,

Been lurking around for a while...reading..watching..learning...

After the discussion/contests a few months ago regarding the design your own whitebox server for $2000 I figured I would share this and hopefully some of you will get a kick out of this...I know I have a project for the weekend ;-)

http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petab...-cloud-storage/

Disclaimer: I have never used backblaze, I do not work for them, and had never even heard of them until this article..so it could be complete BS...but it sounds legit and the logic is there...

After reading the article i have my speculations that the setup mentioned is legit. 67 TB per box is a really nice idea and hope that this true

unless i am mistaken they way that they have the SATA interface cards laid out on the bottom of the drive case there is no connection to the motherboard even with SATA backplanes I must admit if it is legit its a fascinating design and worthy of more research. Also the cases must be custom designed for that specific purpose because i have never seen one quite like it on the "of the shelf" market. I will be paying attention to backblaze to see if they have anything in the future on this project