A podcast question.

Ev0lution

Some friends and I are all quite adept at one thing or another, and we have a really awesome idea for a video blog or video podcast kind of idea with a setup similar to hak5, except it is geared towards geeks in general.

Where would you suggest I start? I already have hosting and a domain name, but I was wondering what you suggest for cheap video/audio equipment. Also, when it comes to video hosting, should I pay for a server myself, or should I start with something like youtube? Thanks for any feedback.

Youtube in HD is pretty good.

However, most people will expect you to offer an RSS feed of the video that will work with (for example) iTunes which youtube will not do. You don't really want to go for your own server, just get a hosting plan, GoDaddy (for example) will give you 100GB/month for $3 a month.

Youtube in HD is pretty good.

However, most people will expect you to offer an RSS feed of the video that will work with (for example) iTunes which youtube will not do. You don't really want to go for your own server, just get a hosting plan, GoDaddy (for example) will give you 100GB/month for $3 a month.

Libsyn is also a great solution for many podcasts as they are flat rate for an open bandwidth. This allows a small podcast to grow or be slashdotted without killing the creators. It's designed for podcasting audio/video so avoids rolling your own solution and includes tracking information you can use to convinces advertisers that you have an interesting following.