HOWTO: RoM + Wine + Curse Client

miT

UPDATE:

I've had a tutorial on getting RoM running on Ubuntu for awhile now, just recently reposted a how-to for those who are having the "No EULA / Login" display issue, a quick registry hack will get you up and running in no time! :)

http://timashley.me/node/265

------------------------------------

Hail fellow adventurers,

I searched for a way to get RoM to work under Wine on linux a couple months back. I love playing my Windows games under linux because they run so much faster! All of my steam games get amazing framerates compared to running them under Windows XP. Having been spoiled by the kicka$$ performance that linux gives me, i strive to figure out a way to get RoM running nicely under Wine on Ubuntu Linux.

In this tutorial, i show you how to Install Wine, RoM and the Curse Client on Ubuntu Linux.

http://timashley.me/node/185

Enjoy!

Do windows games really run faster under linux? Wow. I didnt expect that. Id expect a performance hit due to emulation..

Wow, I'll have to check that out some time :)

*Face.palm*

W.i.n.e. = Wine is not (an) emulator

Well of course you're going to get a performance increase when 99% of your system resources are available for a game to eat up :lol: (unlike XP which doesnt like to share!)

your getting better gaming performance in wine??? When the hell did that happen?

What games are you playing and how many hours did you have to tweak it?!

I always got HORRID experience with games in wine, if they even worked at all.

your getting better gaming performance in wine??? When the hell did that happen?

What games are you playing and how many hours did you have to tweak it?!

I always got HORRID experience with games in wine, if they even worked at all.

Little to no tweeks and i get great performance. Of course, if you want "awesome" performance some tweeks are usually in order, like for WoW for instance. I mainly play Steam based games, which require no additional modification and work great "out of the box".

• 1 month later...

I just started playing ROM, I would say it is better then Wow. Not only is it free, but renting a horse is cool (it sucks trying to run to a location and it takes forever), Daul classes is great, the only thing I dont like is everyone is Elves and Humans. (I am a Human Mage/Priest) but there should be like some cool monster looking characters to play besides human and elf, maybe orks or something. (Hard to tell who is the bad guy unless I see them and they have a red thing under their name)

I dont trust to run Ventrillo yet, some random guild recruited me and asked if I use it and no way until I know for sure it wont comprimise my pc while playing. Like say can they get my IP via Vent and hack my Rom account? I dunno but the guild has a funny name and I dont trust it yet lol are Rom accounts easy to hack? I like the idea of a on screen mouse keyboard to protect from keyloggers.

Rom can be ran under Linux (via Wine)? that is news to me because the game rocks.. as soon as my free Win 7 runs out and I switch back to Ubuntu I will remember this so I have a fun "free" MMORPG to play, but yeah Rom is way better then Wow IMO

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
@miT http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1119528&page=5

Im having issues just trying to start the game.

-edit- other than Wine, is there other software that i need?

I have replied to your ubuntu forums post as well as your private message.

Yes there is additional software that needs to be installed after WINE using a nice little script called Winetricks. Check my blog article for further information on it.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, it's faster on Linux, but crap graphics

LOL, sounds like you need a new gaming rig my man. RoM is constantly being scrutinized as a "WoW knock-off".

If you really want bad, come play some Regnum with me :)