Rename, Move, or Remove "menu.lst"

H@L0_F00

I've discovered that you can name your menu whatever you'd like as well as place it in any directory you'd like. It helps reduce clutter and the amount of files on the root of your drive. I also keep my menu and all submenus in "/.multiboot/menus/" which helps keep everything neat and contained. To do this you must edit the "grldr" file's integrated menu which GRUB defaults to when it doesn't find "/menu.lst" You can even eliminate having a seperate menu altogether by putting it all in "grldr" if you'd like.

Editing "grldr"

Open "grldr" in a text editor (Notepad doesn't recognize the line terminators, making things difficult. Wordpad does though)

Scroll to the bottom

Find the lines:

configfile
default 0
timeout 1

title find /menu.lst, /boot/grub/menu.lst, /grub/menu.lst
    errorcheck off
    configfile /menu.lst
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
    configfile /grub/menu.lst
    find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /menu.lst && configfile /menu.lst
    find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/menu.lst && configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
    find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /grub/menu.lst && configfile /grub/menu.lst
    errorcheck on
    commandline

title commandline
    commandline

title reboot
    reboot

title halt
    halt

This is the integrated menu, you can make it instantly load another menu by replacing everything above with something like:

configfile /whateverfolder/yourmenu

Or, you can replace everything from "default 0" to "halt" with your current menu, keeping the line "configfile" before your custom list because that's what tells GRUB where that what precedes is your list. Keep the NULL terminator as well which might appear as a box in most text editors (hex value: 00).

I recommend using Notepad++ for all your text editing needs.