Is an sd card to sd card adapter even possible?

KGONEPOSTL

I mean seriously, I've tried everything from straight through the ubuntu gui creating a bootable usb device, to straight install, to grub4dos, to grub, to grub 2 and some other things

I can't get a sd card booted no matter what I try. Has anybody here used an sd card in a SD card adapter to run ubuntu in persistent mode!? (means that you can write to the flash drive)

No matter what I get a busybox shell in every situation. I'm trying really hard here guys :)

That busybox shell just means that it cannot find those squashfs files.

Does it work if you install Ubuntu to the USB?

That was the second method I tried after first attempting to use the create bootable usb option, than it was was grub4dos. Than it was the de-compiling and re-compiling script found here.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-ubuntu-90...nstall-windows/

Didn't we already go over this? I'm quite certain you can modify the init script(s) to look for whatever device your SD card is.

We did talk over my first forum post, I immediately hit up the subforum which you requested which brought me to psychosis' excellent guides. I'll look over the original thread. I apologize for this. Please understand that I am very excited about using ubuntu and getting into linux. Seems I still don't know how to contain my excitement. I've only gotten 5 hours of sleep in the past two days! I feel like a n00b again! What an awesome feeling!

You might need to modify the initrd scripts to boot from that drive. I posted a link to it somewhere in the Episode 525 release thread.

Thank you, I'll check out the notes. I'm curious why this only happens in my situation. What the most likely culprit in this case guys? It seems that each device is treated differently on the install and that using a sd card is not too conventional using grub4dos and the others. Just trying to understand linux a little bit at a time. I hope I'm not pissing you off. I'm gonna go and try to modify the script and set the pointer to /dev/sda1 instead of the uuid or whatevers up.

Btw, long article. Looks difficult. K, here I go.

One quick thing before I start

gunzip < ../initrd.cpio.gz | cpio -i --make-directories

Is that a spacer for two different commands or do you actually type the | part of it?

Actually, setting it to mount the SD card based on the UUID would be the best bet if you were able to get it working because then you wouldn't have to worry about the drive showing up as a different device on a different machine (which happens quite often in Linux). The only way I know of doing this is modifying /etc/fstab. Modifying the init scripts isn't quite easy. I just started learning about it and it took me about a week just to modify the Ophcrack scripts to search for the tables in "/.multiboot/Ophcrack/tables" as well as mounting all FAT32 and NTFS file systems as rw so that I can save passwords, user names, etc. I'll post a guide on it when I get the time (probably < 3 days) so that you may follow it if you'd like, but you'll want to modify different scripts and lines than I did and you'll have to figure out what those scripts and lines are.

And with that command, the '|' is called a pipe. It takes the output of the first command and "pipes it" to the second command. The same thing could be achieved by doing:

gunzip ../initrd.cpio.gz
cpio -id &lt; ../initrd.cpio

Note: Use the same distro as root to extract/modify/compress the scripts so that the file permissions stay the same. This was a big problem I had before I realized what was happening and why.

Actually, setting it to mount the SD card based on the UUID would be the best bet if you were able to get it working because then you wouldn't have to worry about the drive showing up as a different device on a different machine (which happens quite often in Linux). The only way I know of doing this is modifying /etc/fstab. Modifying the init scripts isn't quite easy. I just started learning about it and it took me about a week just to modify the Ophcrack scripts to search for the tables in "/.multiboot/Ophcrack/tables" as well as mounting all FAT32 and NTFS file systems as rw so that I can save passwords, user names, etc. I'll post a guide on it when I get the time (probably < 3 days) so that you may follow it if you'd like, but you'll want to modify different scripts and lines than I did and you'll have to figure out what those scripts and lines are.

And with that command, the '|' is called a pipe. It takes the output of the first command and "pipes it" to the second command. The same thing could be achieved by doing:

gunzip ../initrd.cpio.gz
cpio -id &lt; ../initrd.cpio

Note: Use the same distro as root to extract/modify/compress the scripts so that the file permissions stay the same. This was a big problem I had before I realized what was happening and why.

Thanks for the awesome post.

I like SD. It's not as good in read/write unless you own a class 4/class 8 card. However, those are very cheap as well. That's why I felt no need to own a flashdisk until now! My class six 8 gig microsd only cost 14 shipped and the usb adapter is two dollars. It may seem a lot/gig but the functionality is much greater you know what I'm sayin? Plus I bought it 6-8 months ago at that price so I'm sure it's cheaper now

Microsd/sd is the way to go with ubuntu for my own personal purpose and I'm sure many others will agree since you can pop it in a camera as well.

I'll try that long guide my very best. When you do find the time I'm very eager to read your upcoming guide. Thank you for letting me know :-)