tunnelling a Windows file share

redxine

How would one go about connecting to a windows file share over the WAN without a forward facing address (all on a windblo$ machine, behind a linksys with no forwarded ports for example)? For example while on a public Internet connection connect to my server using either an ssh tunnel or netcat, and then the server would use that tunnel to a file share either on that computer or a share on the LAN. ssh is prefered as security could be an issue here.

How would one go about connecting to a windows file share over the WAN without a forward facing address (all on a windblo$ machine, behind a linksys with no forwarded ports for example)? For example while on a public Internet connection connect to my server using either an ssh tunnel or netcat, and then the server would use that tunnel to a file share either on that computer or a share on the LAN. ssh is prefered as security could be an issue here.

With no forward facing ports open you're not going to.

There must be away (or perhaps not). reverse ssh can be done - that is having a client connect to a server and the server getting the client's shell, and so can tunnelling. http://www.bitvise.com/file-sharing something like that, only in reverse.

Not possible since you're roaming and your IP will be changing, so you can't set the server to try to contact you.

Not possible since you're roaming and your IP will be changing, so you can't set the server to try to contact you.

SERVER @ 5.4.3.2 ====== INTERNET ====== CAFE @ 6.7.8.9 -- ROUTER ---------- client running samba server.

^ Server has port 22/whatever open

What I mean is have client connect to the server at 5.4.3.2 and set up a tunnel. Instead of the server contacting client, the client contacts the server. After setting up a tunnel, the server connects to samba through the tunnel, so when the server looks at the share on \127.0.0.1\share over the tunnel, it sees the samba share on the client.

That still requires open ports.

Not on the client end, no. That's the beauty of teamviewer and NAT. But the viewer client is the only thing I've gotten working in WINE, and I do not want to setup XP (even in a VM) just for this - I want it to work seamlessly, so Linux for the server please. I'd just like this to work on Linux and windows just to be flexible. I suppose a reverse VPN is what I want to achieve - that is the client connects to my server, then having the server be able to navigate to the share on the client (or whatever other service it is running, like http or ftp). Navigating on the rest of the LAN would be nice too. A sort of remote workgroup

?reading: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH_VPN