Wake On Lan without a router?

dkeefe75

I was wondering how you would wake a computer that is only connected to the modem and has no router attached. I have my personal computers set up and working fine with my Linksys, but my parents just have a modem attached and then always call me to work on their computer. Thanks.

You'll need to get a router.

If your computer isn't connected to the internet, WoL over the internet isn't going to work. If your computer is off, the USB adapter won't be connecting the computer to the internet.

I am trying to connect to my dad's computer and he is connected to a DSL modem without a router. Is WOL possible without having the router in place?

WOL is a layer 2 broadcast, so unless you are on the same subnet of the local lan, you aren't going to be able to reach his mac address to send the packet in the first place. As far as I know, WOL does not work over the internet.

Like sparda said, you would need to login to a router on his network, so you are part of his subnet, then send a broadcast magic packet. I don't see a way to do it over the internet directly to his IP address from the DSL modem, although, you might want to look into his DSL Modem, as some of them have routers built in ;)

WOL is a layer 2 broadcast, so unless you are on the same subnet of the local lan, you aren't going to be able to reach his mac address to send the packet in the first place. As far as I know, WOL does not work over the internet.

Totally right, if it's a Layer 2 broadcast, it won't pass through a router (or layer 3 device-without special circumstances).

"The Magic Packet is a broadcast frame" -wiki

Frames don't travel the internet, packets do. Bottom line is you would need a device in his VLAN or subnet (not just lan) to deliver the WOL frame.