Remote Hardware Profiling

soulbleed

Are there any free tools that allow you to profile the hardware on a remote host given it's IP address, over the Internet? The reason I ask, is because a lot of game servers providers lie about the hardware they run, and was thinking about switching hosting providers if the hardware and reviews are as good as they say.

Thanks

Are there any free tools that allow you to profile the hardware on a remote host given it's IP address, over the Internet?
Not directly from the internet ip address. From a specific service port, maybe, but I don't know of anything that lets you connect and query for hardware other than SNMP and UPnP, but thats just with windows. Linux could tell you more just from the cli, but you need the access rights to look things up.

Short of having shell access to be able to query the system directly, there probably isn't much you can do. If you have access to upload scripts, depending on the OS, identification becomes easier, but hardware access would require you to have deeper access rights to the system, and most hosted accounts limit the users capabilities to use system commands, both on linux and windows.

If its a windows box and has RDP support (why they would give that to anyone is beyond me though), and you had access rights to login via RDP, then you could easily see everything from the device manager, like as if you were sitting at the machine yourself.