Lock Booting with memory stick

Sigge

It's cheap, cheerful, and not all that secure, but putting your bootloader on an SD card or USB stick would work just as well for casual or unprepared users. The upside is that it works with pretty much any OS. The downside is that if I have a USB stick with GRUB on it, and a boot.conf with every likely boot choice, I have your system.

Ideally you need a password on a bios or maybe locking the hard drive with a password (word of warning don't forget or loose it though). having said that if you were to add a good bios password and take all the available boot options out other than the hard drive then make your case lockable (weld it together ideally :-)) then add a good OS password to a *nix system , it will stop alot of hacks...

Ideally you need a password on a bios or maybe locking the hard drive with a password (word of warning don't forget or loose it though)

He just said he didn't want a password.

There's no real way to make the bootloader check for a keyfile, or something related to that. Even so, someone with the ultimate grub boot cd can just install a new bootloader.

I think you answered your own question:

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=keyfiles & http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=hidden-os

i.e. create a truecrypt rescue volume on a bootable USB to boot a whole-disk encrypted system volume.

But this is so obvious I'm sure there is something special you want to happen- DYW absolutly no boot at all rather than just disk restricted access with a keyfile on a USB?