Gaining access, D-Link DIR-655, firmware v. 1.31, physical access

sina94

My roommate is a security freak. He has a Gentoo media center/everything else set up with a RADIUS server... and you have to jump through rings of fire to get connected to the interwebs (WPA2 with tunneled TLS authentication on the outside, his very special certificate file, and then PAP authentication on the inside). Problem is, it runs like shit (probably mostly linux driver issues). I pay my half of the internet bill, and should be able to poke around inside the router to see if I can alleviate any of my connectivity problems. Problem is, the guy uses epic pass poems that, even if I knew where to start cracking, it would probably take me the rest of my life. Haha. He hasn't updated the router (D-Link DIR-655) firmware from 1.31 to 1.32NA, and I read that there was a security problem with the captcha on the routers login page. Any way I can use this to gain access before he upgrades the firmware? I have physical access to everything, but no privileges whatsoever. This falls outside of my area of expertise, so I'll need the really dumbed down version.

With physical access, if you are going to try to do something with equipment that isn't yours, you may as well just hit the damn reset button on the back and set it up however you want. Either way, I'm sure if your roommate is that on top of things, he will know either way at some point no matter what you end up doing.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I don't know about 1.32 firmware. I don't think it would help too much with your problems. Mine drops connections for a couple of hours every couple of hours, denies access to config page, all around disaster. I have to either unplug it (not even the power button works anymore) or unplug the wan and plug it back in. The 1.21 firmware was a LOT better. They really #$%@ up with this one.

Hi,

I don't know about 1.32 firmware. I don't think it would help too much with your problems. Mine drops connections for a couple of hours every couple of hours, denies access to config page, all around disaster. I have to either unplug it (not even the power button works anymore) or unplug the wan and plug it back in. The 1.21 firmware was a LOT better. They really #$%@ up with this one.

Well it is D-Stink.

Ask your roommate if he can setup a tunnel or exceptions for your IP address for you where you don't need to be subject to all the security. Either that or stop paying your half of the internet bill lol. My router logs everything and emails it to me on my blackberry. I dare say he will have something similar.