VMWare vs Hyper-v

tallygeek

Ok guys, I have a question. I've been watching the episodes about the ESXi stuff and got to wondering if I should rethink my setup. I have a Windows 08 x64 box as my DHCP, AD, DNS and Hyper-V server. I have Hyper-V running Windows Home Server and an XP machine. I have another computer as a print server for a Ricoh RW-240WP wide format printer. This printer has to be connected to a XP box. It also has a wierd PCI controler card that connects to the printer. I have another XP box that is my file server. It has 5.4 TB of storage plus the drive for the OS. My question is this. Should I ditch the Hyper-V and install ESXi on the box and then put Server 08 on that and have it be my DHCP, DNS and file server and then have another virtual XP box to run the print server? Or should I keep the Hyper-V and put all the virtual machines on that? And, why would you prefer one to the other?

Vmware has been around alot longer, so it's probably not going anywhere soon. MS really wants into the virtual server world, so hyper-v isn't going anywhere soon either. You'll most likely have better hardware support with vmware, it will also have the newer bells and whistles before hyper-v. If your setup is working for you now, why change it? I don't think you'll get any benefits to move over to vmware with your current setup. Maybe if you wanted to set up a couple more vm's then maybe change over for that.

Hyper-V

Pros: Very good performance; great price

Cons: Bad remote management experience; needs a better management console

ESX Server 3.5

Pros: Excellent performance; easy installation; a polished management console

Cons: Somewhat limited hardware support

I think for something like this its a "to each their own". They both are great virtual systems and just because somebody talks about ESX on the show doesn't mean its the better system. Here are a list of virtual systems:

Bochs

Containers

Cooperative Linux

Denali

DOSBox

DOSEMU

FreeVPS

GXemul

Hercules

Hyper-V

Imperas OVP Tools

iCore Virtual Accounts

Integrity Virtual Machines

FreeBSD Jail

JPC (Virtual Machine)

KVM

LinuxOnLinux

Linux- VServer

Logical Domains

LynxSecure

Mac-on-Linux

Mac-on-Mac

OKL4

OpenVZ

Oracle VM

OVPsim

Padded Cell for x86

Padded Cell for PowerPC

Palacios VMM

Parallels Desktop for Mac

Parallels Workstation

PearPC

PowerVM

Proxmox Virtual Environment

QEMU

QEMU w/kqemu module

QEMU w/ qvm86module

QuickTransit

RTS Hypervisor

SimNow

SIMH

Simics

Sun xVM Server

SVISTA 2004

TRANGO

User Mode Linux

View-OS

VDSmanager

Sun xVMVirtualBox

Virtual IronVirtual Iron 3.1

Virtual PC 2007

Windows Virtual PC

Virtual PC 7 for Mac

VirtualLogixVLX

Virtual Server2005 R2

CoWare Virtual Platform

Virtuozzo

VMware ESX Server

VMware ESXi

VMware Fusion

VMware Server

VMware Workstation 6.0

VMware Player2.0

Wind Riverhypervisor

Wind RiverVxWorks MILS Platform

Xen

z/VM

z LPARs

VMware has a far more mature management interface, and the ability to run it off a USB stick is very nice. However, the full enterprise VSphere setup is very expensive. ESXi free is still incredible though. HyperV is far cheaper, and if your a small or cash strapped MS only shop it does everything you need for 1/5th of the liscense cost alone. Can be full or core 2008, and you can get a free version that runs on core. I've not really played about with Xenserver but from what i've seen its impressive. Citrix banned me from the user portal for breaching export laws however.

The best thing? Hyper-V, ESXi and Xenserver are all free.