chris pirillo irc chat shooting self in the foot?

Razor512

I regularly go there but it has been getting really annoying and they are basically shooting them self in the foot.

when ever a jerk/ spammer enters and spams the chat (a chat in which 4 messages in a row gets you kicked and if you join again and a spam a few more times, you get banned)

anyway this is the stupid thing that I don't understand

when ever the chat is spammed even once, the ops there quickly set the IRC to moderated for like 30 minutes

when in this mode, only ops and half ops and a select few normal users are able to use the chat

from what I see is this gives the spammers far too much power, as they know that if they spam, it will cause the admins to moderate the chat for like 30 minutes.

a while back, they were able to basically denial of service 90% of the chat by coming in and spamming the chat every few minutes which basically kept the chat set on +m almost the entire day, and every time the chat gets moderated, the mods go through the rules like 1 rule at a time, (the spammers know the rules, they also know that when they spam the chat comes to a grinding stop because the admins are quick to moderate the chat.

a single user coming and spamming 4 lines of text and getting kicked, and possibly coming back again and spamming another 4 lines and getting banned is less annoying than 1 user coming in and spamming then then getting kicked, then the chat being moderated for the next 30 minutes as that makes the chat unusable for more than 90% of the people there (this just encourages spam as a spammer can be sure to bring down a irc for like 30 minutes with just 4 lines of text)

First, Chris Pirillo has nothing to do with hak5 or MintIRC.

Second, what exactly are you wanting to accomplish with this post?

Lastly, if they were on MintIRC, we have network services that take care of and manage spammers :) along with a great Channel staff and network staff.

-Manuel

Yeah, I use to go to that chat a lot, still idle in it, been idling in it for over a year and still don't have voice XD (Don't really care) The only times I would like to talk is when he does videos or call in's. Witch the chat get mod'ed so I can't talk.

First, Chris Pirillo has nothing to do with hak5 or MintIRC.

Second, what exactly are you wanting to accomplish with this post?

Lastly, if they were on MintIRC, we have network services that take care of and manage spammers :) along with a great Channel staff and network staff.

-Manuel

my reason behind it is trying to understand what locking down an entire chat accomplishes when ever anyone spams, (cant they just let the auto banning bot handle it?) (for me it just seems to give the spammer more ammo because they have the power to get the chat modded when ever they want)

it is just the dumbest thing I have seen in a long time especially when it happens every time and the admins lock the chat down and start reciting the rules to everyone, even though the spammer was kicked by the chat bot before the chat was modded

my reason behind it is trying to understand what locking down an entire chat accomplishes when ever anyone spams, (cant they just let the auto banning bot handle it?) (for me it just seems to give the spammer more ammo because they have the power to get the chat modded when ever they want)

it is just the dumbest thing I have seen in a long time especially when it happens every time and the admins lock the chat down and start reciting the rules to everyone, even though the spammer was kicked before the chat was locked by the chat bot

Well, basically as a chanop who is strongly opinionated, rough and tough, you do what you feel is best to manage the channel. my suggestion is if you feel that you need to talk, pm a chanop and ask for voice so you can actually talk... be nice about it and not demanding. I know I personally hate it when that occurs and ignore the user or simply tell them no when they are demanding.

Before we got SpamServ, we used to resort to moderation on a regular basis for handling issues. In some occasions we still use moderation, but that is rare now.

-Manuel