Build A Wi-Fi Cantenna,is it possible????

charm_quark

was browsing the net, and found this page,,, and was wondering if this is possible!!

http://www.thinkdigit.com/General/Build-A-...tenna_1012.html

Nope it would never work. How could it? It's impossible a farce. A joke. A fallacy. The hundreds that have been built and those for sale commercially at Best Buy, CompUSA, Fry's are all fakes I tell you.

/sarcasm

A simple, cheap and easy to build waveguide antenna. Quite effective for the intended purpose of a directional signal antenna.

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=12596

Without even having to look at the link, I'm goign to say, a pringles can, some wire and a pole that extends from the pringles can. Yes, they have been around for years, and you can make them yourself, You can even be cheat and just mount a usb card inside the can with a usb extension cable, but your results won't be as good as a real antenna. These are not used for every day use, but unidirectional, long distance montiroing, like think roof top to roof top, no obstructions in your way, line of site long distance receiving. How far depends on your card and the quality of the antennna, but these aren't usually used for communicating as much as they are for monitoring from far away while isolating one target.

Pringles cans don't work that good for this. Google home made cantenna and try and find a site that has the math for the can diameter and where the wire should be/how long it should be.

before you make an antenna you should learn the principles behind why and how an antenna works... Whatever you do you have to make sure your antenna length matches the wavelength of the frequency your trying to tune into.

Yea, soup cans work better.

LOL, are you serious ;)

Just don't put your head in front of it while in use. Probably not good for you.

dont tell me you tried that!!! :P

ok all pun aside, so lets put this hypothetical scenario, that I'm living just outside my university, (the university has raised building and there are none outside of the campus), and i want to use their bandwidth, outside their campus, using a cheap antenna,.. thus giving me access as if I'm in the university!

LOL, are you serious ;)

dont tell me you tried that!!! :P

ok all pun aside, so lets put this hypothetical scenario, that I'm living just outside my university, (the university has raised building and there are none outside of the campus), and i want to use their bandwidth, outside their campus, using a cheap antenna,.. thus giving me access as if I'm in the university!

Yes I am. Though you need a couple to get the correct length. I have a baileys can that's just about the right size, but haven't built the antenna. I built a biquad instead and that works much better.

As for your connection scenario, it probably won't work that well. For the connection you'd need another antenna on the other end pointing at you.

Cantenna is meant more for montioring. You would need a way to power/send your signal back across that distance to really be usefull for two way communitcation, but if the distance is minimal, then you shouldn't have a problem with the cantenna, jsut won't see killer bandwith and probably get a lot of timing collisions.

Cantenna is meant more for montioring. You would need a way to power/send your signal back across that distance to really be usefull for two way communitcation, but if the distance is minimal, then you shouldn't have a problem with the cantenna, jsut won't see killer bandwith and probably get a lot of timing collisions.

They work pretty well for point to point connections as well, but like I said, you need one at each end.

I've made one simple and cheap

its good if you have a signal thats about one bar and is always disconnecting, point at the access point and your online! not perfect but still great for when you really need online

BSoD: Episode 22 had a great segment and info about this type of antenna and how to make it.

Heres the link if interested.

http://bsodtv.org/node/10

this / these videos' have a lot of info!!!,

biquad :blink: interesting!!

so if i have 2 of these "cantenna's" pointing at each other, i could use the most basic telnet to control a Drone, or something!!! (ie mainly for downloading on the drone)

PS: wasnt online. my telecoms are messing with their uplink so the full city goes offline,, monopoly just sucks!!!