VMware ESXi 4.0 problem

dberube

I've been having a problem with an ESXi box, I can't a 500GB hard drive to attach to a datastore.

When trying to add a 500gb drive to a new or existing datastore I get this error message.

"Error during the configuration of the host: Failed to get disk partition information".

I have used BackTrack to fdisk the drive and mark it as bootable also wrote an ext3 filesystem to the drive. I have tested the drive with SeaTools and it passes.

This problem really has me stumped because every other box I attach it to I can access and use the drive (disclaimer: I do not have another ESXi box to try this with).

I've been having a problem with an ESXi box, I can't a 500GB hard drive to attach to a datastore.

When trying to add a 500gb drive to a new or existing datastore I get this error message.

"Error during the configuration of the host: Failed to get disk partition information".

I have used BackTrack to fdisk the drive and mark it as bootable also wrote an ext3 filesystem to the drive. I have tested the drive with SeaTools and it passes.

This problem really has me stumped because every other box I attach it to I can access and use the drive (disclaimer: I do not have another ESXi box to try this with).

What kind of drive is it?

ESXi needs a driver for your hard disk controller, which due to a limited HCL it won't ever get. You need to look for a hack or look at Hyper-V or XenServer, both are free and have better HCL's.

Simple. ESXi won't be able to read your linux (ext3) filesystem and use it for storage. You'll need to format the internal disk(s) as VMFS. ESX if very picky when it comes to this. Try running this command in the service console (in case you don't know how to gain console access, view the video below). In the following format: vmkfstools -i srcDiskPath --diskformat thin dstDiskPath

examples:

vmkfstools -C vmfs3 -S datastore -b 8m vmhba1:130:0:1

vmkfstools -c 500G -d thin /vmfs/volumes/san_vmfs/my_vm/thin_disk.vmdk

3ienablesshd.gif