Wardriving Cops.

psydT0ne

Sounds like all they know how to do is to find the unsecured networks. They don't know how to triangulate their location and they don't know what they'll do after they find the network. I wonder if they plan on publishing a map of the neighborhoods with the number of unsecured APs?

I leave my wifi unsecured*

*Then again it won't get you far. You still have to log into the captive portal and then again into the Proxy.

Sounds like all they know how to do is to find the unsecured networks. They don't know how to triangulate their location and they don't know what they'll do after they find the network. I wonder if they plan on publishing a map of the neighborhoods with the number of unsecured APs?

I leave my wifi unsecured*

*Then again it won't get you far. You still have to log into the captive portal and then again into the Proxy.

You get the upsidedownternet working??

In the US we call that Wiretapping, and its illegal, even if you are the cops, you would need a warrant to enter someones network. Just becaus it says open does not mean there isn't a proxy or authentcation running internally. cafe's leave the networks open, but you still get prompted for a user/pass or login screen if set up properly. wifi-->network firewall/proxy --->inernet/internat. Still traffic would be sent un encrypted, but you could also add a ssl/web-vpn thingy and make the users download a client to go any further.

technically the cops wouldn't have to actually get on your network to sniff it in order to find out if someone is illegally accessing your connection. But it still is wiretapping.

Also how do they know if you gave someone permission to access your network or not.

In the US we call that Wiretapping, and its illegal, even if you are the cops, you would need a warrant to enter someones network. Just becaus it says open does not mean there isn't a proxy or authentcation running internally. cafe's leave the networks open, but you still get prompted for a user/pass or login screen if set up properly. wifi-->network firewall/proxy --->inernet/internat. Still traffic would be sent un encrypted, but you could also add a ssl/web-vpn thingy and make the users download a client to go any further.

The article didn't say they were connecting to the networks. I've said this before and I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the face, WARDRIVING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CONNECTING! What the cops are doing is looking for unsecured networks and then telling the owners to lock it down. How they're pinpointing the actual location I'm not sure, probably just knocking on a few doors.

Also how do they know if you gave someone permission to access your network or not.

I think you're missing the idea. They aren't going around arresting people for attaching to other peoples Wifi, they're wardriving to look for unsecured APs, then informing the owners that that's a super bad idea and they should cut it out.

The newer AP's are getting much better, like not being able to config the router from wireless, and making it so that only certain devices can associate with the AP (like root/non-root configs with cisco antennas).

Somebody define "Secured wireless" to me. Because I have yet to see one that truly is unbreakable, regardless of what consumers have implemented at home.

Somebody define "Secured wireless" to me. Because I have yet to see one that truly is unbreakable, regardless of what consumers have implemented at home.

It's not a discussion of unbreakable. It's a discussion of whether or not measures are in place to require a key to use use the network. If a network is open then any criminal can connect and use it. That's the problem. By using WEP/WPA/WPA2/RADIUS/Captive Portal/laser equipped lemmings you prevent someone from casually connecting. This is a first line of defense. Sure WEP/WPA/WPA2 can be broken but that's not the point (besides the felony of breaking the encryption*). You should have some means of connection control on your network as you are responsible for what goes across it.

*See your state/province law for unauthorized access to a computer network.

@Barry not yet been fighting to get Squidguard working now I have to figure out how to imagemagick libraries installed and then the scripts....Been busy getting my 2m rig working and getting LMR400 pulled from basement to attic.

I love this idea. I wish my home town would do this to open jobs. I would be a shoe end after spending time in this community lol. But yeah if the network is open its just beging for someone to come in. Wether or not if it is or isnt wiretapping. Dumb computer users are not smart computer users.

laser equipped lemmings

Hmm. I like that! I feel a photoshop image is in order...

:)

edit:

lemmings.jpg

That's the main reason I use a wired network in my house. I have an AP on my network for the laptop, but I only turn it on when I need it (not often) and it's secured. What a security hole for people who don't know what they're doing.

The dude above me has the right idea. Turn off your access point when you're not using your laptop. Then go wired for all other connections.

If you're that worried about your pr0n stash, then sure go ahead. WPA2 with a good password is about as close to impossible to hack as you can get at the moment.