Spare xseries 225 server

shift

I have a spare Xseries 225 server chilling beside my desk. its dual core 2.8 with 2 gigs of ram and 5 or 6 scsi drives.. Debating what to do or create out o fit.. was going to do a file server but 36gig drives wont cut it.. and an exis server would need alot more ram.... any other ideas what to do with this beast?

Sell it and buy something more energy efficient. These old servers are quite nice but using 6 10K SCSI drives for 180GB of storage when the 10K speed isn't needed is just going to cost you in power consumption. You could argue that the server grade components are worth keeping, but again its not something thats ever so important for a home setup.

umm.. lets see... you could turn it into a firewall... u could turn it into a micro media server... any other ideas? if i come across something ill let you know. It would be epic to see it turn into a http server... ive made a cupple that work for me. I have so fat at least tossed up 10 http servers with remote ssl and ftp communications.

A quick ebay search suggests between £150 and £200 ($240 and $330) +shipping. You could also gut the case and add more modern components, but this might be more effort that its worth. For a router, its hugely over spec and inefficient, for a media server its got no space, for a http server, again very inefficient unless you have a bunch of sites you host yourself already that needs this much power. For a lab box, you could run ESXi on it and host a few small VM's, but the lack of memory is going to be an issue.

Problem is, this machine is a decent mid-range server from just before Intel ditched netburst for core2duo, which was far more powerful, and used less energy. The netburst CPU's were horrible, especially the "dual core" versions which were essentially 2 poorly performing CPU's cranked up as fast as they could go and glued together. Add in fast SCSI disks, server grade PSU's and the cost of running it will be more than its worth. If bits fail it will be expensive to replace them and you can't really do much more with it. If its all you have, then yeah, little lab box but if you can, sell it and replace with something more modern with a little more power and is cheaper to use.

A quick ebay search suggests between £150 and £200 ($240 and $330) +shipping. You could also gut the case and add more modern components, but this might be more effort that its worth. For a router, its hugely over spec and inefficient, for a media server its got no space, for a http server, again very inefficient unless you have a bunch of sites you host yourself already that needs this much power. For a lab box, you could run ESXi on it and host a few small VM's, but the lack of memory is going to be an issue.

Problem is, this machine is a decent mid-range server from just before Intel ditched netburst for core2duo, which was far more powerful, and used less energy. The netburst CPU's were horrible, especially the "dual core" versions which were essentially 2 poorly performing CPU's cranked up as fast as they could go and glued together. Add in fast SCSI disks, server grade PSU's and the cost of running it will be more than its worth. If bits fail it will be expensive to replace them and you can't really do much more with it. If its all you have, then yeah, little lab box but if you can, sell it and replace with something more modern with a little more power and is cheaper to use.

I think I will just sell it and use the $ towards building a nice file server :)