Aircrack-ng Issues on Dell Inspiron 1525

The Sorrow

I recently moved from Windows to Ubuntu 8.10 on my Dell Inspiron 1525 and have run into a problem using the Aircrack-ng suite. I use airmon-ng start eth1 to put the card into monitor mode and then type in airodump-ng to start capturing packets but it returns with this

root@******:/home/******# airodump-ng eth1

ioctl(SIOCSIWMODE) failed: Invalid argument

ARP link type is set to 1 (Ethernet) - expected ARPHRD_IEEE80211,

ARPHRD_IEEE80211_FULL or ARPHRD_IEEE80211_PRISM instead. Make

Sure RFMON is enabled: run 'airmon-ng start eth1 <#>'

Sysfs injection support was not found either.

i spent a couple hours researching and tinkering and found nothing. My card has been said to support promiscuous mode so im stuck.

what method did you use to change to monitor mode. i was playing with the latest release of aircrack-ng on linux mint and found airmon-ng said it went into monitor mode but it still wouldnt capture was coming up with a similar error.

try this:

ifconfig eth1 down

iwconfig eth1 mode monitor

ifconfig eth1 up

and then do your capturing.

and to stop monitor use:

ifconfig eth1 down

iwconfig eth1 mode managed

ifconfig eth1 up

it sounds like your drivers are not patched so you may not be able to inject and you will have to run 3 commands to change between monitor and managed. i think ubuntu is using the interface by default so you need to bring it down to change modes and other settings

I normally use:

ifconfig eth1 down

airmon-ng stop eth1

macchanger --mac 00:11:22:33:44:55 eth1

airmon-ng start eth1

airodump-ng eth1

It works when i use a USB wireless card, problem is that its a G not an N so it doesnt have the same range as my integraded

• 3 weeks later...

the sorrow, I got the same laptop/wireless card as you. How'd you get the 1390 working in Ubuntu for normal browsing first off? I got mine working using ndiswrapper awhile back that of course doesnt allow you to put the card into monitor mode. I'm thinking just like you I'm going to be needing a usb card to do this kind of stuff. Isn't it a broadcom chipset? Also I notice you're using eth1 in your commands, shouldn't it be wlan0/1?

lol gotta hate the stock standard wifi cards in laptops these days. they suck.

BTW if anyone had issues getting the wifi card to work on a dell 1525 working go here Once again props to Bakb0ne he saved me a shit load of headache.

the sorrow, I got the same laptop/wireless card as you. How'd you get the 1390 working in Ubuntu for normal browsing first off? I got mine working using ndiswrapper awhile back that of course doesnt allow you to put the card into monitor mode. I'm thinking just like you I'm going to be needing a usb card to do this kind of stuff. Isn't it a broadcom chipset? Also I notice you're using eth1 in your commands, shouldn't it be wlan0/1?

The restricted driver that comes with Ubuntu

The restricted driver didnt work for me. Had to blacklist it and use ndiswrapper. This was back with 7.10, maybe things have changed...

yea i was using 8.04 so they have redone the dell restricted drivers because dell now sells ubuntu as one of their OS options.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...