Hacker magazines printed

Method

2600 is good. You can find it in some book stores.

$49 for a year subscription ON SALE?! (For Hackin9) Sorry, I don't pay over $30 for magazine subscriptions..

This is also why I am not subscribed to Linux magazine.

Now $26 for a yearly subscription to 2600, now that doesnt seem so bad, even though it's a quarterly mag, surely it's jam packed with good stuff.

lol, 2600 is a mixed bag at best. Its really not worth the paper its printed on. You may find one good article a year. There really are no good printed magazines.

Yeah, that's because not everyone finds the stuff in them interesting, everyone likes their own thing. And the fact that by the time they get printed they are old news.

Yeah, that's because not everyone finds the stuff in them interesting, everyone likes their own thing. And the fact that by the time they get printed they are old news.

A lot of the stuff in 2600 is three or more years old.

Printed publications like magazines are pretty much dead anyway.

Yea who reads those things with paper in them nowadays. Wait! Oh yea!

They're called BOOKS, PAMPHLETS and MAGAZINES.

I doubt B&N, grocery stores, drug stores, and other book stores would get rid of their magazine racks if they didn't sell enough of them IMHO.

http://www.phrack.org/

Magzines I bought over the years were the only ones I could ever find on the news stands. 2600, Blacklisted 411, and another one I forget the name of. There were only 3 to choose from and I used to buy them all. Online there was always phrack and similar ezines, but in print, there were only 3 I knew of.

Yea who reads those things with paper in them nowadays. Wait! Oh yea!

They're called BOOKS, PAMPHLETS and MAGAZINES.

I doubt B&N, grocery stores, drug stores, and other book stores would get rid of their magazine racks if they didn't sell enough of them IMHO.

http://www.phrack.org/

Books, yeah they are still around and I still like them. But magazines and newspapers, they are dieing (just look at the US newspaper market for a perfect example), especially technical magazines. When I was a kid I used to get 2-3 computer magazines a month, for the demo CD's etc. Now I can just visit multiple sites, download what I want, read what I want all for free. I have a subscription to new scientist, but I hardly ever actually read the printed media, its all online and thats easier to read.

If you look at whats sold now, its all stuff like What! Microwave, Autotrader or 300 different weekly celeb magazines. There are still computer magazines, but would you buy one knowing you can just read it for free, online?

I recently started pouring through all those old 80's-90's hacker ezines (back from the ol' BBS days). Phrack, LoD Technical Journal, etc. It's a very cool glimpse into the history of computer security, blackhatting, etc.

http://www.textfiles.com/magazines/ has a huge archive of all these old ezines.

2600 usually has at least one good article in it and it is small enough to throw in a bag and wander round with. Even the bad articles can trigger an idea and become useful.

I don't know why people are bashing 2600. Sure things in the security field can literally change overnight, but the principles don't. And even if the exact same exploit doesn't work by the time you attempt it, chances are you can find something similar to what was described in the article you wanted to try. Though I have been frustrated a couple different times when I came across something I really wanted to try myself, but the hole had already been fixed.

That's why I like online articles, they can be instantly published, and they are published more frequently (not monthly or quarterly), so you get the good stuff while its still able to function out in the wild.

Very true...I get a free business infosecurity mag called SC Magazine. Most of it's already out of date by the time it hits my mailbox.

• 2 weeks later...