Ways to Sell wifi

pkmx

I'm here in the mountains of Butler, TN and there is a WiFi service that they just put up around here in the last year. They use some Hardware called ISS III Then they set up these units that pretty much emit WiFi but they also use it to talk to homebase where the internet connection is.

Its set up with 2 antenna's one Im connected to and I get my internet from. Then theirs a more directional one which I assume talks to another one which probably is connected to the ISS and an internet connection.

The only cable coming of this here tower is power.

How do I setup one of these units that doesnt cost $2,000. Maybe more around $200 and have them pay me via PayPal.

Any Ideas?

Thank you.

I'm here in the mountains of Butler, TN and there is a WiFi service that they just put up around here in the last year. They use some Hardware called ISS III Then they set up these units that pretty much emit WiFi but they also use it to talk to homebase where the internet connection is.

Its set up with 2 antenna's one Im connected to and I get my internet from. Then theirs a more directional one which I assume talks to another one which probably is connected to the ISS and an internet connection.

The only cable coming of this here tower is power.

How do I setup one of these units that doesnt cost $2,000. Maybe more around $200 and have them pay me via PayPal.

Any Ideas?

Thank you.

It costs a lot because it's made for commercial applications. You can't do this with off the wally world shelf equipment. Well you could, but you'd have some really pissed off customers when it goes down all the time.

You might be able to get away with some of the higher end consumer wifi equipment.

There are many realtively inexpensive software packages available for internet cafe's that could suit your purpose but you would need to scrutenise the reliability of them to avoid complaints and downtime.

• 3 months later...

Simple...

A couple things to keep in mind when designing a WiFi System

1) You need some kind of source to the Internet... In Experience I would have to say STAY AWAY FROM DSL and T1's. Ideally go for a cable connection OR FIOS Connection.

2) Once you have a connection there are many ways you can move it from place to place! If you live in a small town, you could install a DSLAM and attempt to provide DSL over the existing Phone Wires run throughout the neighborhood.

If there was only a couple people you wanted to connect up, you could easily do a couple Point-To-Point Links from your house to theirs.

If there were many people like a whole Neighborhood system you ideally would go with several optimal Locations and broadcast using an Omni Antenna. You would then connect the locations together using Point-To-Point Links. Keep in mind to can have up to 4 Watts for a Point-to-point but only 1 Watt for an on-mi.

3) After the Basic Infrastructure is in place, you now have to think about Authentication unless you plan on providing the service for free. This is typically accomplished by using a RADIUS Server. There are several free options or you can purchase a commercial solution. Once Radius is in place, you also need a Web server to serve the "Portal" Page. Basically a web page you design that allows people to log in/ pay for service.

If you still have any questions feel free to ask. I'm a Wireless Network Engineer and I design and Install systems like this ALL the TIME!