(Pandora) Saver2

ZigZagJoe

Thanks to maniac11919 from irc, the pandora client now has a new skin!

EkO9VjcwQ6NvHvcjA9Uke1y2Ocr8CdpI.PNG

IG5sY4K3Y4Gc3qis1n8dle8t8I2ovz78.PNG

It will be in the next update, pop by irc if you want it now. Of course, the plain background is also retained.

ATTN: if you are getting crackling in the audio output, which mostly afflicts realtek integrated cards, try this: Go into the Client settings, then choose the advanced tab. You will see a drop down menu next to "output device"; it should say WaveOut. Try switching it to DirectSound, and then restarting the client. If the crackling persists (it shouldn't), you can try mplayer, the last option, but keep in mind this disables seeking, underflow protection, and introduces bugs of its own.

Edited by ZigZagJoe

I have a suggestion for the pandora client. More of a want.

Can you add more options to the output devices? For example, I've been looking for months for a method to output Pandora radio to VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) and this is the closest solution I've found.

I was thinking I could do this by having the Pandora client route the audio to mplayer, and change the audio output settings in MPlayer but when I downloaded mplayer from their website and put it in the Pandora client directory it didn't work. Pandora client kept retrying to work with MPlayer then eventually switched back to its default settings. I'm using Windows.

Edited by CondemnMe

I have a suggestion for the pandora client. More of a want.

Can you add more options to the output devices? For example, I've been looking for months for a method to output Pandora radio to VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) and this is the closest solution I've found.

I was thinking I could do this by having the Pandora client rout the audio to mplayer, and set my audio output in MPlayer but when I downloaded mplayer from their website and put it in the pandora client directory it didn't work. I'm using Windows.

I'm wondering, what are you trying to do with the virtual audio cable thing?

To enable using mplayer, you need to go into config, pandora->advanced->output device, and pick captive mplayer, then restart the client. However the facility to add additional arguments to the mplayer command line was lost a few patches ago, as it was never used, so you'll need another way to set it.

I'm having some issues with output too. Back when I was using this on XP, it was outputting 5.1 and using all my speakers. Unfortunately, after I updated to Windows 7 all I can get it to do is use 2 of my speakers. I've had this issue with a couple of other programs as well, but usually I could fix it my messing with playback settings or the output device. None of that worked for Saver2, do you have any suggestions? Windows know the speakers are there and they're set as the default device.

It's been quite a while since I last checked the forums and I've got to say--ZZJ: it's amazing what you've done with this app!! I recall when it was first released and where it was when I last updated--and it has grown by leaps and bounds since. Just wanted to throw out that congratulations on your awesome success with this, ;) .

The only thing I've noticed is that it seems there was at one point an option for what the shuffle button does on the Pan. client, but it's no longer there and the button seems to do nothing. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Havent been around Hak5 for a while,

just wanted to give you some feedback

Everything is working great in the latest version

Keep up the good work ;)

Glad you like it.

It's been quite a while since I last checked the forums and I've got to say--ZZJ: it's amazing what you've done with this app!! I recall when it was first released and where it was when I last updated--and it has grown by leaps and bounds since. Just wanted to throw out that congratulations on your awesome success with this, ;) .

The only thing I've noticed is that it seems there was at one point an option for what the shuffle button does on the Pan. client, but it's no longer there and the button seems to do nothing. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

The shuffle button just changes stations every 4 songs now (ala quickmix, but better) as shuffling the 4 songs seemed quite pointless to me. So, you won't see anything immediately, but on the next time it gets a playlist it will change station.

The shuffle button just changes stations every 4 songs now (ala quickmix, but better) as shuffling the 4 songs seemed quite pointless to me. So, you won't see anything immediately, but on the next time it gets a playlist it will change station.

Hmm, that's interesting. It doesn't seem to be doing that so far... Personally, I like getting a different flavor of music after every song, but we'll see how this feels. Would it be possible to retain the option of having it shuffle to another station every song?

I absolutely love what you have done and been using the pandora app and saver2 on and off for about a year now, and you have more then earned a donation, just waiting a paycheck then its coming your way

Thanks, it's much appreciated :)

Hmm, that's interesting. It doesn't seem to be doing that so far... Personally, I like getting a different flavor of music after every song, but we'll see how this feels. Would it be possible to retain the option of having it shuffle to another station every song?

No; that would cause pandora to issue a temp ban after the 4th song or so. To clarify: before, it shuffled songs in the playlist fragment only (4 songs), not fetched a new playlist or changed to a new station. You should see an entry like "Client: Picking a random station" after a song finishes; at most 4 songs later (pandora sends 4 songs at a time).

I figured shuffling 4 songs that the listener already doesn't know the order of and are "similar" is rather useless, so might as well just do the station shuffle.

Birthday update deployed~~ Adds skinning, repeat button, and some usability stuff

9/24/2010 1.3.3 build 1090

ZZJ's birthday update.

Biggest new bit here is client skinning. Added a repeat button. Some other bugs were fixed, as well.

Client: Added skinning features. Includes 5 skins. Details on forums.

Client: Many minor UI bugs fixed.

Client: Hitting the pandora client launch button again will cause it to be brought to front if it is already active

Client: Tweaked nowplaying slightly

Client: Status now set on play/pause

Client: Shortened the drag height while in mini mode

Client: Progbar widget now drawn with forecolour

Client: Added repeat button

Client: Added a prompt for old users updating, for skinning.

Client/Last.FM: Clarified log messages

Saver2: Added browser setup dialog

SProxy: Linux hacks mode is now enabled automatically if running under mono

SProxy: Added a workaround for a possible bug under mono

SProxy: IE proxies now defaults to On

SProxy: Added exit confirmation

Installer: Fixed not everything being removed

Docs: Added firefox page, help no music being saved!, and updated IE setting.

------

Here's some pics of the skins:

scorp1.png

scorp4.png

maniac1.png

maniac1-boxy.png

maniac1-green.png

scorp3.png

Of course, the basic skin is still available.

Here's some info for making skins: http://zzj.itf-inc.com/downloads/PCskininf.zip

The mono package was also updated.

When I use this player it often stops playing for a few seconds to buffer. First of all this shouldn't happen because I'm on a fast internet connection and a very fast computer, but second of all, I didn't think this should ever happen at all because the player downloads the song first and then plays through it...Am I wrong about the way this player works, or am I wrong about what it is doing when it says buffering?

Either way is there a way to make it play through without buffering randomly?

When I use this player it often stops playing for a few seconds to buffer. First of all this shouldn't happen because I'm on a fast internet connection and a very fast computer, but second of all, I didn't think this should ever happen at all because the player downloads the song first and then plays through it...Am I wrong about the way this player works, or am I wrong about what it is doing when it says buffering?

Either way is there a way to make it play through without buffering randomly?

It plays the song as it downloads.

Check the speed shown in the sproxy window when you are downloading - specifically the audio url.

You could also try increasing the buffering amount.

If you can, hit the Live Help button on sproxy, i'm on now and it would be easier than typing this all out

It plays the song as it downloads.

Check the speed shown in the sproxy window when you are downloading - specifically the audio url.

You could also try increasing the buffering amount.

If you can, hit the Live Help button on sproxy, i'm on now and it would be easier than typing this all out

Where is the live help button? and if you're not on now, where is the speed shown and how do I change the buffering amount?

also, this program frequently uses approximately 30% of my core i7 processor. I can close it and re-open it and it stops using so much processor for a while, but then it climbs back up there after a bit.

edit: sorry I found the buttons, I normally don't have the actual sproxy window open, just the player window. I'm trying to connect to live help now.

edit2: I tried to connect to live help, but it said it failed. I'm on a college campus with a hardware firewall in place, so it may be blocking the connection attempts. Or it could just be that no one is on now, I'll try again later.

the error I got was "failed to connect: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 65.111.131.249:6667

Make sure your connection is not firewalled. Type /server to try again."

I still can't find the buffer window, but it looks like the buffering problem has stopped, now the player plays fine as long as its using the normal 1 or 2 percent of my processor, but when it starts using 30% of my processor songs randomly stop playing for short periods and eventually the player just locks up and I have to kill the process.

I'll try to upload a log here in the next hour, next time it starts using a high processor load. When I upload the log do you want it here in the forum, or should I just press upload log from sproxy?

thanks for your time, this player is one of my favorite things on my computer and one of a few reasons I all but refuse to use any other computer. I've been using it for over a year now and it worked perfectly last year, but this year when I came back to school it started having problems.

I'll definitely be donating as soon as I get this issue resolved.

Edited by sethdaniel2011

I still can't find the buffer window, but it looks like the buffering problem has stopped, now the player plays fine as long as its using the normal 1 or 2 percent of my processor, but when it starts using 30% of my processor songs randomly stop playing for short periods and eventually the player just locks up and I have to kill the process.

now the buffering problem is back. The player downloads half of the song at very high speeds, then slows to 2.8 kbps to 4.8kbps and stays at that speed until I skip to the next song, at which point the process repeats-download half of the song quickly then slow to a crawl.

I've uploaded the log of the current session in which the buffering problem is happening to:

http://zzj.itf-inc.com/u/99f8da64e54

Adjusting the buffer is a hidden setting, but it would be no use based on the behavior you described. The CPU use is odd, short of remote debugging (which is essentially a non-option) I really have no way to debug it currently.

Try playing a song in pandora, then copy the URL from the sproxy window and use a tool such as wget to get the same URL, and see if it exhibits the same behavior. It may be QoS at the hardware firewall/router doing it.

Live help was trying to connect to irc.coldfront.net:6667, must be blocked. Instead try http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=irc.coldfr...annel=%23saver2

Did find a bug in how it displayed the buffering amount though - each time an underflow occurs, the buffer size is doubled, but it was using the original value.

Edited by ZigZagJoe

just a note: for those who have mplayer output enabled for whatever reason (not the default anymore), if you turn on repeat and reach the end of a song, it WILL crash the client as mplayer (as it is used) does not support seeks.

This will be fixed in the next patch; the repeat button will not longer be shown if the output stage does not support seeking.

ZZJ,

First of all just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU for all your hard work. Both the Pandora Client and Saver2 app are Marvelous!! I also love that because of you "plug-in" architecture, I can create a customized plug-in to meet my needs (which I have done).

My plug-in has been working for about six months (No real changes on my side). However, with your latest birthday update, I am now getting the following message:

Error while loading plugin Saver.PandoraEx.dll: SystemReflectionTargetInvocationException

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of the invocation --> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Proxy.Settings.toHTML() in E:\Codin' Projects\Saver Project\SPRoxy\Settings.cs: line 454

at PandoraEXPlugin.PandoraEX..ctor() in C:\Data\Projects\CSharp\Saver2Ex\PandoraEx\PandoraEX.cs:line 72

I understand what is going on, my plugin is crashing (no try/catch clause) when calling the Proxy.Settings.toHTML() function in the constructor b/c I log all of the settings to my log file on startup. No problem, I have added a try/catch clause, and I am back in business - but my question is:

What changed in SProxy\Settings.cs so that line 454 is now throwing an error?

ZZJ,

First of all just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU for all your hard work. Both the Pandora Client and Saver2 app are Marvelous!! I also love that because of you "plug-in" architecture, I can create a customized plug-in to meet my needs (which I have done).

My plug-in has been working for about six months (No real changes on my side). However, with your latest birthday update, I am now getting the following message:

Error while loading plugin Saver.PandoraEx.dll: SystemReflectionTargetInvocationException

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of the invocation --> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Proxy.Settings.toHTML() in E:\Codin' Projects\Saver Project\SPRoxy\Settings.cs: line 454

at PandoraEXPlugin.PandoraEX..ctor() in C:\Data\Projects\CSharp\Saver2Ex\PandoraEx\PandoraEX.cs:line 72

I understand what is going on, my plugin is crashing (no try/catch clause) when calling the Proxy.Settings.toHTML() function in the constructor b/c I log all of the settings to my log file on startup. No problem, I have added a try/catch clause, and I am back in business - but my question is:

What changed in SProxy\Settings.cs so that line 454 is now throwing an error?

Looks like a value with a literal null value was added (to the settings) in the last patch, internal one used for the client, it causes an error on the sproxy page also. Woops.

But, why do you need to access toHtml? it was made internal in the working version (not released yet)

Edited by ZigZagJoe