(Pandora) Saver2

ZigZagJoe

Me again, I got a little more info about my problem, so I thought I would see what you thought.

I did some investigating and found that I can use sproxy in regular mode and skip each song once it downloads and go through it very quickly, until I get to a new song, which then occasionally gets stuck, just like what sometimes happens in turbo mode. The last time this happened the hang was so bad that the log wouldn't even load. (Explorer opened and said site found, waiting for response for 5+ min). I checked to make sure amazon would load, and it did. I switched stations in Pandora Saver, and paused/resumed play and neither made it start downloading again, or generate a log file.

Here is a screenshot of the error http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9015/Pandora%20Hang.jpg

And below are two separate logs the problem. Both from when I had turbo mode enabled, and while downloading stopped, the log file was still generated, and I could resume downloading by clicking the play/pause button, though it typically would error again soon.

It seems like you may not be able to do anything for me, but I thought I would ask in case this extra info made it clear what was wrong. Thanks so much for such an awesome program!!

EDIT: I noticed it seems the two logs may have different errors. The first states...

The second said buffer overflow as well as...

Full logs are posted below.

Yeah, all I can establish from it is your connection is unreliable. Might be caused by using wireless, or an overloaded proxy server, or something. But if normal browsing is fine it renders it unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...

Nonvital update up. (that means you need to click the check for updates button for it to be shown) For the new grooveshark.

04/14/10: 1.3 build 712

Grooveshark: Updated to reflect api changes

Grooveshark: Now parses "Restore old playlist" songs properly

Edited by ZigZagJoe

04/17/10: 1.3 build 714

Saver2: Removed "other" genre category

Saver2: Fixed a bug in FromMp3 causing grooveshark (and others) to save files with an extension having no .

Saver2: Enforced extension field having a . in songinfo

----

Currently working on a pure-c# audio playback for the client now. I have it working, but there's several killer bugs preventing it from being included atm - for some reason, the output is skipping whenever another directsound app is active. I haven't got it completely reliable yet, either. Aside from that, it works nice, and it feels good to get rid of the horrible mplayer kludging used now.

Joe,

With Grooveshark, the songs are no longer being saved for me. The log says that the file "xxx.mp3" already exists, even when they do not.

I'm not seeing this here - just checked and songs are saving fine. You might post a log snippet, but i suspect it won't have much useful... are you sure they don't exist?

It may be related to the network drive. In the log, the drive path shows only one backslash:

"4/18/2010 12:26:14 AM 22265504: Song already exists (\192.168.1.254\sha..." where it should be

"\\192.168..."

Using a local drive, "C:" for example, it works fine.

It may be related to the network drive. In the log, the drive path shows only one backslash:

"4/18/2010 12:26:14 AM 22265504: Song already exists (\192.168.1.254\sha..." where it should be

"\\192.168..."

Using a local drive, "C:" for example, it works fine.

Aaaah, yeah, that would do it. For some reason file functions are fruity when used with network drives (other people have had this problem); only thing you can do is not use saver2 with them.

Same here. However if you go directly to Pandora.com, it takes forever to load (I gave up waiting) so I suspect that something is going on with Pandora at the moment and S2 is reading that as a protocol upgrade and throwing the error. I'd wait until Pandora will connect normally and try again

Right, update deploying.

04/19/04: 1.3 build 714

You must install this update to continue using the client.

[CRITICAL] Client: Version bumped to v27. No incompatabilities found yet.

---

Tested everything doesn't seem like they changed any core functionality, thankfully.

Work progresses on the native playback (instead of mplayer), but it's still a bit squirrely and skips on linux.

When I try to install, i get this:

Saver2 Install Started

Setup generated on 1:23:07 PM CST 4/19/2010

Output folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Saver2

Searching for processes called 'SProxy.exe'

-> Found 0 processes running

No application instances found

Downloading S2bins.zip...

Error: failed to download S2bins.zip (SendRequest Error)

Writing log file C:\Program Files (x86)\Saver2\install.log

Installation Aborted.

When I try to install, i get this:

Saver2 Install Started

Setup generated on 1:23:07 PM CST 4/19/2010

Output folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Saver2

Searching for processes called 'SProxy.exe'

-> Found 0 processes running

No application instances found

Downloading S2bins.zip...

Error: failed to download S2bins.zip (SendRequest Error)

Writing log file C:\Program Files (x86)\Saver2\install.log

Installation Aborted.

Make sure you can access the internet normally (launch IE, and see if you can get to a page). If you can't, check that your proxy settings aren't set for sproxy - http://zzj.itf-inc.com/s2/docs/fixie.html

I can answer that one, I bet. If you are upgrading from an old version (SProxy) be sure that your internet settings are not stuck and set to use a local proxy. If that's the case, the installer is getting redirected to your local machine and there is no proxy running.

Hi and thanks for this update & program!

Could you please check the write to playlist functionality? Its seems to be broken on my end as it no longer writing.

I'm running Sproxy 1.2.1b w/Pandora client.

Many thanks,

James

Followup: My save directory is a mapped drive M:\Pandora and it appears Saver2 will not write playlists to a mapped drive. I changed the save directory back to a folder on the C:\ drive and the playlists write fine there. It's odd because the mp3's write just fine to the mapped drive.

Edited by sainttjames

I have downloaded the PandoraSaver.exe (client standalone bundle) from two different browsers to make sure that I am not getting a cached version.

Whenever I run the install, I see Pandora Setup build 6:33:51 PM 4/17/10.

And it still sends protocol v26

Thoughts?

It's being cached, or something. I just downloaded it now and got Pandora Setup built 1:23:09 PM CST 4/19/2010 (ie, correct) - you are downloading from http://zzj.itf-inc.com/s2/PandoraSetup.exe , right?

Oh, if you were using the link in my sig that was definitely out of date (it was still linking to the .zip, which hasn't been updated in ages)

Edited by ZigZagJoe

Hey; long time user, first time caller -- you know the bit.

I've been using PandoraSaver since version 1, and I love everything about it. Minimalistic menu, tons of features, the fact that it *downloads songs from Pandora* (fine, records). All that jazz. It's absolutely awesome, and thank you for the work you've put into developing and refining it.

However, since the most recent update, my streaming has been incredibly slow. Be it an update to the proxy or the base program itself, no matter what source of internet I use -- and given that I'm on a college campus, things *should* be fast given the network speed -- I'm having songs buffer for an incredibly long time (compared to pre-update PandoraSaver II), and once they begin playing, they often freeze 1/16th of the way in with buffering.

I am using the most recent version of PandoraSaver II at time of writing, and listening from port 8888. No other major internet-related programs are running in the background -- no torrents, no streaming videos, no online games. I believe I am also utilizing the attached Firefox Portable instead of my primary browser to stream Pandora, although I am not entire sure how to check. I'm definitely an amateur amongst you guys when it comes to programming and network analysis, so if there some information I can provide that I hadn't thought of that could assist in this problem, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Hey; long time user, first time caller -- you know the bit.

I've been using PandoraSaver since version 1, and I love everything about it. Minimalistic menu, tons of features, the fact that it *downloads songs from Pandora* (fine, records). All that jazz. It's absolutely awesome, and thank you for the work you've put into developing and refining it.

However, since the most recent update, my streaming has been incredibly slow. Be it an update to the proxy or the base program itself, no matter what source of internet I use -- and given that I'm on a college campus, things *should* be fast given the network speed -- I'm having songs buffer for an incredibly long time (compared to pre-update PandoraSaver II), and once they begin playing, they often freeze 1/16th of the way in with buffering.

I am using the most recent version of PandoraSaver II at time of writing, and listening from port 8888. No other major internet-related programs are running in the background -- no torrents, no streaming videos, no online games. I believe I am also utilizing the attached Firefox Portable instead of my primary browser to stream Pandora, although I am not entire sure how to check. I'm definitely an amateur amongst you guys when it comes to programming and network analysis, so if there some information I can provide that I hadn't thought of that could assist in this problem, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Odd. It might be pandora in a "mood" (aka, really heavy server load) - i have had that a few times. Good way to check is to try to load the pandora site. Beyond that, I really don't know. Maybe you enabled throttling in settings?

So, it seems I've figure it out: PandoraSaver 2 just doesn't seem to mesh too well with my wireless network.

When using a wired internet source, with very high speeds, PS worked incredibly well - sounds buffer in approximately 5-8 seconds on non-turbo, and began playing after about 10 total seconds. Pressing "Next Song" resulted in approximately 4-10 seconds time between songs.

However, on a wireless network at about 1/2 to 1/4 the wired network speed, the SpeedTest results of which are 17.13 Mb/s Download & 11.43 Mb/s Upload during times of heaviest usage (regarded as 4 PM - 10 PM here), the application continues to have the same problems: songs playing only after very lengthy buffering, and once buffered, freezing a tiny bit into the song. This is all without throttling, on non-Turbo settings (when set to Turbo, the songs autoskip and no music is heard).

Is there some sort of issues that may be associated with using PS on a wireless network, especially one used by multiple users?

So, it seems I've figure it out: PandoraSaver 2 just doesn't seem to mesh too well with my wireless network.

When using a wired internet source, with very high speeds, PS worked incredibly well - sounds buffer in approximately 5-8 seconds on non-turbo, and began playing after about 10 total seconds. Pressing "Next Song" resulted in approximately 4-10 seconds time between songs.

However, on a wireless network at about 1/2 to 1/4 the wired network speed, the SpeedTest results of which are 17.13 Mb/s Download & 11.43 Mb/s Upload during times of heaviest usage (regarded as 4 PM - 10 PM here), the application continues to have the same problems: songs playing only after very lengthy buffering, and once buffered, freezing a tiny bit into the song. This is all without throttling, on non-Turbo settings (when set to Turbo, the songs autoskip and no music is heard).

Is there some sort of issues that may be associated with using PS on a wireless network, especially one used by multiple users?

Nothing that i can think of that would not affect every other network communication. When using turbo (on wireless), what are the download speeds shown? And what is it shown when trying to play normally? And how fast does it update? (each time it updates, it has read a chunk from the server)