Boot from USB

Brian Sierakowski

So, I've been doing a lot of research on this as I don't really like disk media at all.

I'm trying to find a good way to take a bootable ISO and put it or the files on a USB key, and boot from that. I've gone through quite a few guides and I've seen one or two programs, but nothing seems to be all that consistent.

I've found a few specific applications that you can install in this way (win7), but the linux rescue CD I made couldn't be coaxed into booting off my flash drive.

Does anyone know of a good solution to this problem?

Thanks,

-B

So, I've been doing a lot of research on this as I don't really like disk media at all.

I'm trying to find a good way to take a bootable ISO and put it or the files on a USB key, and boot from that. I've gone through quite a few guides and I've seen one or two programs, but nothing seems to be all that consistent.

I've found a few specific applications that you can install in this way (win7), but the linux rescue CD I made couldn't be coaxed into booting off my flash drive.

Does anyone know of a good solution to this problem?

Thanks,

-B

unetbootin

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

OK, this is very cool, but I'm not sure if I can use it for what I want.

I was trying to make a rescue for Macrium Reflect, and it required me to burn a cd from the ISO file, with UNetbootin, could I fake it out by selecting a random distro (or SystemRescueCD), and then use the ISO generated by my program?

Basically the position I'm trying to get myself into is that whenever I get an ISO I need to boot from in the future, I want to be able to accomplish that without having to burn a CD. Just like now I don't need to burn an ISO to use it within my OS by mounting it.

What does everyone think of that?

OK, this is very cool, but I'm not sure if I can use it for what I want.

I was trying to make a rescue for Macrium Reflect, and it required me to burn a cd from the ISO file, with UNetbootin, could I fake it out by selecting a random distro (or SystemRescueCD), and then use the ISO generated by my program?

Basically the position I'm trying to get myself into is that whenever I get an ISO I need to boot from in the future, I want to be able to accomplish that without having to burn a CD. Just like now I don't need to burn an ISO to use it within my OS by mounting it.

What does everyone think of that?

unetbootin

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

that is exactly what this program does. Don't worry about selecting a distro, just select the iso file and the drive you want to put it on. press start. get yourself a 'Mountain Dew Gamer Fuel', reboot and away you go.

UNetbootin worked like a f'in charm, thanks guys!

I had two issues, 1) My computer considers my USB key to be a harddrive, and not a form of removable storage, and 2) I had prior used this key to install win7, so I (of course) had to format the key before I loaded the Macrium image.

I'll try this is in a bit with the Win7 iso, I somehow doubt that it will work :).

Thanks again!

Yeah unetbootin's only good for linux installs. It doesnt work for Windows (unless you specify bootmgr as the kernel? - havent tried it)...

And I recommend grub4dos over just plain grub. Why? Well, grub4dos supports emulation of some floppy and iso images. I'm not sure if plain grub does that. Don't fiddle around with syslinux cause you can easily make a bootable grub/grub4dos disc.