In case you haven't heard, we've switched to digital

beakmyn

Ok so I have satellite service and didn't much care about the local stations. I had a cheap set of rabbit ears sitting on the tv cabinet and it worked ok.

First for those that think I'm in the dark ages the "tv cabinet" holds the kids DVDs, the sat receiver, DVD player, surround sound unit. The flat screen is mounted on the wall all the wires run inside the wall and come back out of the floor behind/underneath the tv cabinet. But anyway I was getting about 4 digital channels with the rabbit ears if I adjusted them right. And they weren't the same 4 channels in the morning as at night. So, I had built this:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/01/m...tv_antenna.html

Instead of hangers I used copper wire from a roll of Romex I had. So, today I took on the task a fishing a cable from the basement to the attic. Luckily there's a cold air return the runs the distance. Using a ebay wireless Infrared camera helps looking down the cold air return.

After running the back up from the basement into the wall to the TV I now have 13 digital channels! Yes sir with the average signal strength of 80-100% before I was lucky if I got 70%, about the limit for my Sat receiver to reliably display the channel.

If anyone is interested I can link some pictures but right now it's about 110 deg F in the attic.

The 300ohm to 75 ohm Balun is about $4.00 at Lowes

You may have some Romex laying around or you can buy it by the foot at Lowes/Home Depot

Various screws washers are a few dollars

A scrap 2x4?? Check if Lowes has any scrap laying around usually in the lumber isle on a cart. You can get a 2x4 for like 50 cents if you're really cheap. I needed some drywall and found half a sheet for $1.00 enough for my project.

I dont know about the US, but in the UK most recent aerial installations are fine for digital, despite the attempts of the Aerial Installation Companies telling people otherwise. Its only if your aerial is quite old that you might run into difficulties.

I dont know about the US, but in the UK most recent aerial installations are fine for digital, despite the attempts of the Aerial Installation Companies telling people otherwise. Its only if your aerial is quite old that you might run into difficulties.

What the hell is an aerial installation company?? We do it the old fashioned way, bailing wire to the chimney!