Video Piping | Skype

nullArray

A client of mine hired someone to help him set up a Skype conference. He had never used Skype before and enlisted the aid of a undergrad student to help him out. He's apparently giving a speech on cryptology to several hundred germans or something.

Anyway, his undergrad has been a no show and potentially bailed on the project and now he's come whining to the admins to do it for him. Getting skype up and running is laughably simple, but there's one caveat.

He wants to start with him talking, video. He'll be displayed at this conference in Germany or whatever. Then, he wants to seamlessly switch to his slides and back again. I don't know how to do such a thing in windows so seamlessly. On a mac, camtwist would be the best way.

I've asked if using something like GoToMeeting is acceptable, but the professor doesn't even understand what skype is, so it's hard to explain what GoToMeeting does.. He actually calls it Skypple in his written communications with me. He also insists that Skype is the only thing the Germans will accept. He gives the presentation in 18 hours, so I don't have a lot of time to tinker around with funny business.

Suggestions? Thanks?

Get him to buy a tricaster. Video from camera on one input, video from laptop displaying presentation to another, out put from tricaster to computer running skype.

So it doesn't need to be a tricaster, but you need a video switcher of some kind. I believe the hak5 crew use a mac pro to switch between video from the cameras and video from computers. I think the tricaster is a bit cheaper than a mac pro (probably not).

You should also point out that skype is only meant to be used to do face to face conversations. Large detailed images = fail.

Get him to buy a tricaster. Video from camera on one input, video from laptop displaying presentation to another, out put from tricaster to computer running skype.

So it doesn't need to be a tricaster, but you need a video switcher of some kind. I believe the hak5 crew use a mac pro to switch between video from the cameras and video from computers. I think the tricaster is a bit cheaper than a mac pro (probably not).

You should also point out that skype is only meant to be used to do face to face conversations. Large detailed images = fail.

Tell me about it. It's not my situation..., I'm just dealing with it because it's "critical to his research" and research dollars pay the bills at a University. In any case...., a tricaster is probably out of the question for a one time deal. Moreover, I don't know where I could get one within 18 hours, figure out how it works AND authorize university spending on it (bureaucracy, yay).

It's interesting that computer science professors have no clue how to use a computer..., I guess that's part of the misconception though. He was originally supposed to go to germany to do the speech, but his wife was injured, and he has to stay home.

I just know there must be a way to do this via software..., or is it just not possible in Windows.

I don't know where I could get one within 18 hours, figure out how it works AND authorize university spending on it (bureaucracy, yay).

Hi nullArray,

Based on the 18 hours comment you made it may be to late now but this might help for furure reference.

I was going to suggest dimdim.com, they I read the comment about the Germans wanting Skype so I did a quick search to see if they will interect in any way. It seems not, but I did find this page

http://lanny-on-learn-tech.blogspot.com/20...pe-41-beta.html

which seems to suggest the 4.1 Beta version of Skype will allow Screen Sharing.

Hope this helps.