New Computer Issues

darkzar99

I just built a new computer:

ASUS P5WD2-E Premium

Intel Pentium D 950 3.4GHz

2x CORSAIR XMS2-6400 1GB (2GB total)

ATI Radeon X700 Pro PCI-E (i know its not that great)

When I first try to boot from the Windows XP Pro CD and install XP, i get all the way to the point where at the bottom it says "Setup is starting windows"

Immediately after that i get the BSOD

This what it says under "Technical Information:"

STOP: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0xf78360bf, 0xf7c82208, 0xf7c81f08)

pci.sys - Address f78360bf base at f782f000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Thanks Snowy©, That doesnt display the BSOD anymore, but if anyone else has this motherboard i have another problem :oops: im not sure you can have 2 standard ide drives with 2 optical drives on this motherboard, currently i have the 2 ide drives plugged into the Marvell EIDE (Red) connector, and the CD_ROM And DVD-Burner on the Blue IDE connector (intel), both set up as master/slave, however BIOS is not picking up either IDE drives? is this normal or do i need to install some drivers? Thanks!

Google to the rescue! :)

Erm 1st point the Mobo manual doesn't say that memory is guaranteed to work

2nd wow talk about a buggy release (just reading about the previous Marvell controller issues - it's Raid but no one can use it lol)

How crappy that Blue socket is 'Ultra IDE' and can only do 66/100 no 133 :( - Taken from Mobo manual LOL

(erm wait arn't all Optical drives UDMA33? - does not bode well) I'll assume you've set the Master/Slave jumpers

3rd see here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=103707 post #8

In the bios

Main - IDE Configuration

Configure SATA as [standard IDE]

Onboard IDE operate mode [Enhanced Mode]

Enhanced mode support on [s-ATA]

Failing that it might work better if you change:

Onboard IDE operate mode [Compatible Mode]

Combimed Mode Option [P-ATA Only]

Goodluck :) That mobo really does look like you should use SATA only on it the IDE was an after thought :(

i dont believe it, i got it to work somehow, i set the enhanced mode support on [p-ata] in the bios and made a driver disk to load when booting from the xp disc and now windows detects both my ide drives :D

LoL that is poor for ASUS according to their manual (if I remember correctly) that's not supposed to come up as an option!

i dont believe it, i got it to work somehow, i set the enhanced mode support on [p-ata] in the bios and made a driver disk to load when booting from the xp disc and now windows detects both my ide drives :D

LoL that is poor for ASUS according to their manual (if I remember correctly) that's not supposed to come up as an option!

Actually it was in the manual on page 4-17

you see thats what im trying to figure out, actually before when i installed the xp with sp2 slipstreamed it was one that i had fully customized with nlite (nliteos.com) so once i find my xp disc that does not have anything removed by nlite, just an original xp disk with sp2 integrated then i will try that, but if anyone can help me in determining if the motherboard is bad please let me know

Actually it was in the manual on page 4-17

My bad I standcorrected - reason why I omitted it because it seems to read that by doing that you turn off all the SATA ports - but I guess you don't need them at this point.

Try installing the driver from HD or CD?

Also:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=200...SLanguage=en-us

Seems the latest beta bios might make the board more stable.

VaKo - it's 100% rushed product... still unstable from the bits and pieces I've read :(

well i checked and the driver was on the floppy that i had it on, but when xp tries to copy it from the floppy it cant find it, how can i make the xp installation (text-only part) load the driver from a cd when it looks for the a: drive?

Ok I purchased 2 SATA 3.0Gb/s drives from newegg today:

a 160GB for my C: drive (windows and programs)

and

a 320GB for my D: drive (data, music, videos, documents, etc. basically everything I dont want erased if i have to reinstall windows/format c: drive)