SNMP Monitor

Mat

I need to set up an SNMP monitoring system at work. Ideally using a free and open source solution. It'd likely run in a VM but hardware could be provided for it if necessary.

It should offer reporting capability but the important part is a wallboard style display, so I can have it showing on a large plasma screen in the IT office and if the board is green, everything is good, but a red flashing light means a server has just exploded - that sort of thing.

I've been googling but I'm not finding anything I like so far, and recomendations?

I need to set up an SNMP monitoring system at work. Ideally using a free and open source solution. It'd likely run in a VM but hardware could be provided for it if necessary.

It should offer reporting capability but the important part is a wallboard style display, so I can have it showing on a large plasma screen in the IT office and if the board is green, everything is good, but a red flashing light means a server has just exploded - that sort of thing.

I've been googling but I'm not finding anything I like so far, and recomendations?

http://spiceworks.com/

Yeah, basically it's a toss up between zenoss and nagios. Zenoss is good because it has all the reports (kpi and such) built in. Nagios is as powerful but you have to create the more hardcore reports yourself.

I really really would recommend spiceworks. The interface is very nice and I had a much easier time setting it up compared to Zenoss. If you really don't want ads then you can pay $20 a month ($220 a year) to get rid of em (the ads aren't very intrusive though), since its for work I'm sure you can find $220 somewhere.

can any of these be used on remote sites through a firewall?

I have teamviewer setup with multiple people and I can remote control their systems, transfer files etc. (even through work firewall here!!) but I'd love to be able to monitor remote machines. Even up/down test would be a great start. maybe teamviewer VPN but I don't want to have too complicated a network setup if I don't need one. I'm thinking of running a PHP/MySQL based solution with my hosting. or maybe just something that e-mails me when one of their systems goes down. but that means writing my own app. and there's probably something out there than can do all this for me ?