New (old) laptop

Phoenix

I am thinking of getting and laptop for playing around on, getting a wireless card for it so i can check my mail and stuff at hot spots.

I am thinking of running linux on it but the thing is i am really cheap :P and don't have much money to spend

I have been looking on e-bay and I am not sure what to get.

If you have any info on a good place to get one or suggestions on what to get I would be very great full.

Thanx

ps. It would be great if it were good enough to play games (mainly CS:S on low specs) this is not a requirement for me but it would be nice 8)

(also I would like to say hello to everyone, I'm new)

Hi welcome to the forums,

If your thinking about buying it off ebay make sure you read the description very carefully and pay by pay-pal so that if the laptop is different tnan what you expected you can get your money back.

Check out other places too, clasifide add in the local newspaper and carboots are great places to get cheap pc's.

Edit: Just noticed it my 200th post Woooo :lol::lol::lol:

The problem with buying laptops of eBay is that you can’t check them over for faults and battery issues.

I know a few people that have bought Laptops from eBay and the batteries have all been shot and buying a replacement can be expensive so I would recommend you check adverts in free papers like The Friday Ad or what ever ones you have in your area, then you can go and check them out and make sure everything is working and running as it should.

I don't know if you get it but there is a free paper called the penny press that is local to the area in the US at least and you can find lots of ads in there. That and check for any computer fairs in the area.

For linux i really enjoy Ubuntu and i got it running really well on a really old Compaq Armada. I had to jump the ram to 192 i think but other than that it ran pretty good.

As for the machine go for an old Dell or HP machine they are normaly the easyest to find parts for and can be had for a steal. I'd say somewhere between 300 and 400 bucks should get you a solid machine that will do everything you need it to.

BTW good first question for a new guy. We need more people like yourself around these parts :).

The problem with buying laptops of eBay is that you can’t check them over for faults and battery issues.

I know a few people that have bought Laptops from eBay and the batteries have all been shot and buying a replacement can be expensive so I would recommend you check adverts in free papers like The Friday Ad or what ever ones you have in your area, then you can go and check them out and make sure everything is working and running as it should.

yeah hey dude i recommend u watch this guide on wot too check for when buying used laptops. -> http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/iglaptop1

or rightclick on this to dl directly ..

its from irongeek ...

btw some tips r really welcome cos im looking for 2nd hand laptops to run linux on aswell ... :P

thanx for the input,

DLSS great link he had some good pointers

now, off to searching for the right one

what do you think would be the best one i could get for the least amount of money?

also what system specs should i be looking for?

ps. thanx ShinmaRyuu I hope to be here a long while

thanx for the input,

DLSS great link he had some good pointers

now, off to searching for the right one

what do you think would be the best one i could get for the least amount of money?

also what system specs should i be looking for?

ps. thanx ShinmaRyuu I hope to be here a long while

500mhz-1 gig pentium/AMD processor

256-512mb of ram

10-20 gig HD

CD-Rom

USB Ports

Ethernet/wireless card slots

I based the specs of the requirements for Ubuntu 6.06. I have got it running on less as i said a old Compaq Armada but if you stick to this it will make you much more happy.