Backtrack for Windows?

Iffy

I want to know if I can run Backtrack 3 or 4 on my Windows machine.. I am new in backtrack and was wondering if I could run it on my windows box or do i need to configure my Liunux machine for it.

You can run a live CD on your Windows PC. Boot from the CD and the OS runs entirely in RAM. It doesn't install on your hard drive, nor does it write/read data to/from it ... unless you specifically perform a write/read operation. This is the way that I first started to play around with it and I'm planning to install it into VMWare shortly.

You can run a live CD on your Windows PC. Boot from the CD and the OS runs entirely in RAM. It doesn't install on your hard drive, nor does it write/read data to/from it ... unless you specifically perform a write/read operation. This is the way that I first started to play around with it and I'm planning to install it into VMWare shortly.

i don't recommend this, because VMWare doesn't see my wireless adapter, so you can't do anything wirelessly such as aircrack or anything of the like. I'm not sure if it's just me, but how hard is it to restart your computer and boot from cd?

i don't recommend this, because VMWare doesn't see my wireless adapter, so you can't do anything wirelessly such as aircrack or anything of the like. I'm not sure if it's just me, but how hard is it to restart your computer and boot from cd?

Interesting - I didn't know that. In the last episode, Darren was playing around with BT and wireless capture. IIRC, he used his "real" eeePC rather than his VMWare on the AAO. He didn't explain why but it might relate to the situation that you've mentioned.

Has anyone else had problems using wireless with VMWare? It's not something that I had planned to do (not initially, anyway).

BT will happily use a wifi adapter as long as it's USB and you tell VMWare to use the adapter, works just like native if you have it set up correctly. It won't work if you have a card style adapter (PCI/PCIe, and their mobile variants) with VMWare.

That said, PCI cards may work in KVM/xen because they support PCI passthrough, YMMV and it's probably more work than it's worth considering you can just natively boot a CD without modifying your current OS, but it might be fun to play with.

I use VMware and a usb Wifi adapter all the time, but no, vmware will not work with internal wireless devices, only standard internal ethernet ports. Why, I have no idea, but that is vmware. I like it better to use the USB ones this way so you can work in windows and vmware while from both your wired home connection and capturing packets from the wireless card in vmware.

I use VMware and a usb Wifi adapter all the time

same here and it works fine with the ALFA usb, sometimes i just can't be bothered shutting down my windows box, restarting in linux,....

make sure to set the vmware NIC in bridged mode so it gets an IP of your DHCP (router) if you want to test your internal network

if you are gonna do any wireless fun.. you'll need a decent card anyway, most internal cards don't cut it