Back track 4 monitoring mode

troy7548

I was watching some tutorials of people using Back track to test their home network and they turn the monitoring mode on there wireless card and went on with the tutorial but I was wondering after you are done testing your network do you have to turn the monitoring mode back off or once you close Back track does it reset its self also same question with the mac address. Thanks

I was watching some tutorials of people using Back track to test their home network and they turn the monitoring mode on there wireless card and went on with the tutorial but I was wondering after you are done testing your network do you have to turn the monitoring mode back off or once you close Back track does it reset its self also same question with the mac address. Thanks

Monitor mode is just a function or feature of certain Wifi cards under linux. You can turn it on and off at will.

ifconfig devID up promisc
iwconfig devID mode monitor

or to turn off monitor mode

iwconfig devID mode managed

So it won't interfer with my internet connection if I leave it on monitoring mode.

Monitor mode is for capturing packets. If you have two cards, you can set one to monitor while surfing on the other. I never actually tried surfing while in monitor mode to be honest, as I run BT in a vm using a usb wifi card, and windows on the host side with a seperate nic. Unless of course I boot off a thumbdrive, then I just use it for capturing stuff to take home and analyze later.

• 2 weeks later...