SATA Power Source Splicing

The Sorrow

Ok today i was installing a new beast of a power supply (Mad Dog 550v) thing has 5 fans and a whole lot of connections, but only two SATA power connectors....two less than i need....so i pulled out the wire snips and electrical tape and spliced in two more SATA connectors on the same wires as the native two. Im mainly posting this to see if there are any downsides to this idea...comments greatly appreciated.

Should be fine, but watch for shorts, very nasty when data's involved. The other downside is that too much splicing may result in too much current being drawn on a single wire and it may shut down/damage the PSU or potentially even catch fire, though as long as you keep it reasonable then you're probably fine,

• 2 weeks later...
Call me cazy, but aren't molex to sata power adapters only a couple of bucks? It seems like it would be worthwhile to go that route rather than splicing connections.

rofl. as true as that may be i dont geographically live anywhere near a PC supply store, and my grandparents aren't one for ebay so i had to improvise

Call me cazy, but aren't molex to sata power adapters only a couple of bucks? It seems like it would be worthwhile to go that route rather than splicing connections.

Heck, I have like 50 of them in my closet (it was all the craze when sata wasnt mainstream yet)

Also.. you ever heard of newegg.com or tigerdirect.com??? If not, 1. your a fool, 2. CHECK IT OUT!

(just kidding about the fool part)

Heck, I have like 50 of them in my closet (it was all the craze when sata wasnt mainstream yet)

Also.. you ever heard of newegg.com or tigerdirect.com??? If not, 1. your a fool, 2. CHECK IT OUT!

(just kidding about the fool part)

yes ive heard of newegg. in fact if i could get a job id be their most frequent customer lol.

• 2 weeks later...

newegg IS my exclusive vendor for all things computer related (..except for cisco routers, and stuff that I can just go buy for cheap/same price @ walmart)

Now don't get me wrong Tiger Direct has been around for a really long time *first true 'new' homebuilt computer all parts came from td* but pound for pound, Newegg is easier to navigate, and have better prices (about 85% of the time anyway)