Installed the Piranha firmware 2.0 b4 - borked fon+?

I took my working fon+ running openwrt, gargoyle, and jasager and upgraded the firmware using the ap51 tool Darren mentioned in his guide. As it was takng a while I was eating an apple and walked away from the PC. When I came back AP51 was closed and I rebooted the fon, now I have what I suspect is a bricked fon.

When my PC is plugged stright into the device I get an IP address, with a gateway address of 192.168.1.1 however I cannot ping, SSH, telnet, HTTP, or otherwise access the device using that address.

Before I go make a serial cable to access the console, are there any tips or tricks I can use to access the device?

I took my working fon+ running openwrt, gargoyle, and jasager and upgraded the firmware using the ap51 tool Darren mentioned in his guide. As it was takng a while I was eating an apple and walked away from the PC. When I came back AP51 was closed and I rebooted the fon, now I have what I suspect is a bricked fon.

When my PC is plugged stright into the device I get an IP address, with a gateway address of 192.168.1.1 however I cannot ping, SSH, telnet, HTTP, or otherwise access the device using that address.

Before I go make a serial cable to access the console, are there any tips or tricks I can use to access the device?

Try FonFlash on the gargoyle website.

While this is certainly everyone's own decision, I cannot really see the point of using ANY of these various GUI flashers - besides the before-mentioned Fon Flash from Gargoyle - BUT even that one does NOT issue a "full initialization flash", a step that is urgently needed when e.g. moving from dd-wrt.

Thus my question is simple: Is it really that difficult to flash the device manually utilizing the official install instructions at http://piranha.klashed.net/pub/inst? I mean, I'm certainly open for suggestions to make them even more straightforward for the users - no doubt about it!

I'd just like to understand WHY you prefer bricking your devices with in-appropriate tools instead of appreciating to have the full control over the process. Please let me know! Just my 2c!

While this is certainly everyone's own decision, I cannot really see the point of using ANY of these various GUI flashers - besides the before-mentioned Fon Flash from Gargoyle - BUT even that one does NOT issue a "full initialization flash", a step that is urgently needed when e.g. moving from dd-wrt.

Thus my question is simple: Is it really that difficult to flash the device manually utilizing the official install instructions at http://piranha.klashed.net/pub/inst? I mean, I'm certainly open for suggestions to make them even more straightforward for the users - no doubt about it!

I'd just like to understand WHY you prefer bricking your devices with in-appropriate tools instead of appreciating to have the full control over the process. Please let me know! Just my 2c!

If I had to guess it's probably because people are anxious about telneting in and issuing commands and or setting up a tfpd server. Both of which are pretty easy.

If I had to guess it's probably because people are anxious about telneting in and issuing commands and or setting up a tfpd server. Both of which are pretty easy.

In my case it was "I've already done this once this way - why mess with success?"

Looking into the fonflash utility, thanks!

Oh an OJ? Please don;t think I was blaming you or the firmware, this is completely user error on my end. I was just hoping someone would have an idea outside of the serial cable.

Thanks for the hard work you put into this and I hope I can use it soon.

I feel that most users will not understand what the install instructions mean. That is why they don't use them and try other options. If you want, I can create a step-by-step with explanation of what the instructions mean and how to use them.