Vmware ESXI

Youssef29

Hi Everyone,

I've been watching Matts parts on Vmware ESXI and am curious as to what shows on the monitor for the server? Can you set it so that one of the operating systems load up and show on the monitor?

Reason I am asking is I have a nice machine set up for my Media server. I would like to run ESXI on that machine, but I want windows xp to show on the monitor (My TV). I dont know if this is possible, and I only really looked a little. Most people seem to just set it up as the server and let it go, but nobody really talks about what is output to the screen.

Any help would be great.

What is shown on the screen is a menu that has options for setting the password and resetting the network, little more.

ESXi is not designed to use on a media center or similar, it is for servers that live in there own room far away from people. What you want is something along the lines of VMware server, workstation or virtualbox, running on top of XP.

For what you want to install it on you probably want to use VMware Server (which has a free version) that will run on top of the operating system. It is similar to ESXi in a couple of ways. It allows the running of several OS's at once, has separate server and client application. Version 2 has a web interface.

The real disadvantage to VMware server over ESXi is the performance loss. ESXi is the OS and the virtual machine software in one go and has very little in terms of overhead. VMware server runs on top of another operating system which priorities it's tasks independently of the virtual machine.

The advantage with using VMware Server been that you have a OS running on the 'bare metal' which gives it the most performance and allows it to make use of all the hardware including graphics cards. Video processing in a VM is done nearly always exclusively on the CPU which is why VM's are not some thing you want to do any thing video in.

What is shown on the screen is a menu that has options for setting the password and resetting the network, little more.

ESXi is not designed to use on a media center or similar, it is for servers that live in there own room far away from people. What you want is something along the lines of VMware server, workstation or virtualbox, running on top of XP.

I'm not even sure if you'd want to run any virtual machines on a media pc. Nothing worse than having a movie crap out at the good part because some process on one of the vm's decides it's more important. Now running the media server part would most likely work out okay.

Thanks for the help guys. I am really interested in trying ESXI. now that I know it only shows the setup menu, I will dedicate a box to it. I dont really want to run vm server on my media machine. I'm really interested in seeing the rest of Matt's episodes on ESXI.

Thanks for the help guys. I am really interested in trying ESXI. now that I know it only shows the setup menu, I will dedicate a box to it. I dont really want to run vm server on my media machine. I'm really interested in seeing the rest of Matt's episodes on ESXI.

It's pretty sweet. I've got an esxi server running for our support folks to break. We run the full version esx servers for our file servers.