Desktop Support stories

Chalito

So today someone in my office came running to me at around 9am telling me that their laptop was taken over by hackers and all her stuff was going to be lost. So I decided to be nice and told her I'd take a look and this is what I found

pic0096.th.jpg

It kinda made me laugh a little bit. But it seemed like this thing was all f'd up. I just booted onto a live cd and mounted her drive and saved her pictures and stuff.

Anyone else have interesting desktop support stories they want to share?

I had an incident where an office called me up on their cell phones and said the following...

"Our power is out, what should we do with our computers?"

Apparently the power was out for a whole section of their town.

I told them to patiently wait for the power to return.

I had to go troubleshoot a problem with a guy who had gotten a new wireless keyboard for his laptop. He couldn't figure out why he couldn't get it to work.

I got there and he was trying to find the keyboard in his wireless networks list.

Properly installed it, and all was well.

"Hi, your through to BT Internet Support, how can I help?"

"YOU FUCKERS!! YOUR SHITTY INTERNET IS CRAP, I WANT MY FUCKING MONEY BACK!!!"

"OK sir, tell me what the problem is and-"

"FUCK YOU!!"

<this goes on for several minutes, and I finally manage to calm the guy down>

"OK, your wireless internet doesn't work, can you see it in the list of wireless networks?"

"No, I can just see McDonalds"

"OK, can you tell me if the wireless light is flashing or steady or off, its on your router"

"How the fuck am I supposed to do that? My router's at home!!"

"er... where are you?"

"I'm in my lorry cab, I'm doing a run through Holland at the moment"

"Hi, your through to BT Internet Support, how can I help?"

"YOU FUCKERS!! YOUR SHITTY INTERNET IS CRAP, I WANT MY FUCKING MONEY BACK!!!"

"OK sir, tell me what the problem is and-"

"FUCK YOU!!"

<this goes on for several minutes, and I finally manage to calm the guy down>

"OK, your wireless internet doesn't work, can you see it in the list of wireless networks?"

"No, I can just see McDonalds"

"OK, can you tell me if the wireless light is flashing or steady or off, its on your router"

"How the fuck am I supposed to do that? My router's at home!!"

"er... where are you?"

"I'm in my lorry cab, I'm doing a run through Holland at the moment"

Thats rich

The most recent thing that happened to me was this:

Office guy - "Hey you, IT guy what did you do to my computer?!"

Me - "What do you mean? I don't even know who you are."

Office guy - "I know toy IT people did something to my computer. I can't seem to type and numbers, and I was able to yesterday. What did you do?!"

Me - "I didn't do anything but I would be happy to take a look if you want"

Dude shows me over to his computer and puts his cursor in a text box and starts hitting numbers on his keypad and nothing is happening.

Me - "Really? Are you for real?"

Office guy - "Yeah I'm for real, fix this!"

Me - *presses Numlock* "Your welcome"

The most recent thing that happened to me was this:

Office guy - "Hey you, IT guy what did you do to my computer?!"

Me - "What do you mean? I don't even know who you are."

Office guy - "I know toy IT people did something to my computer. I can't seem to type and numbers, and I was able to yesterday. What did you do?!"

Me - "I didn't do anything but I would be happy to take a look if you want"

Dude shows me over to his computer and puts his cursor in a text box and starts hitting numbers on his keypad and nothing is happening.

Me - "Really? Are you for real?"

Office guy - "Yeah I'm for real, fix this!"

Me - *presses Numlock* "Your welcome"

lol.. classic

i had a customer bitch me out for 20 min because his mouse didnt work on his brand new computer and he hated our store and everything was my fault

i pushed the button just above his touchpad and turned it from amber to blue. looked up and said "well thats fixed.. anything else you had an issue with sir or were you leaving?"

Not so much tech as i have yet to do REAL support but some easy ones from my school

Teach: hey why isnt the image appearing on the projector like on my computer

me: -walks over plugs in vga cord to secord port-

many of my stories are with classmates and mundanely easy tasks with Word or PP

Not a tech story but when i learned some vbscript for msgboxes i used it to make one called "Halo 3 beta" and when clicked it said "get back to work" (Yes, No, Abort). my friend heard some rumors about it

I think my fav was getting an email about how their email wasn't working.

My new saying this year has been "Oh really? I think the mouse server is down, let me check on it and i'll get right back to you"

By the time i remember that i FORGOT to call them back, the problem has already fixed itself.

Sometimes i wonder why i chose this career... :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

hah. I work at a hosting company/data center/wireless company (3 different companies all together) and i do tech support for the hotels around Kansas that have our WiFi/IP Phones. I also do after hours support for the hotels so i can make a little extra money, but anyways.

last night

*this is long btw*

me - "Mayberry Communications, this is Aaron."

caller - "this is alan from the Best Western, our internet is down. Can i speak with Barry(the owner)?"

(mind your its 10:30PM and im at home)

me - "Barry is gone for the day. Is there something I can help you out with?"

caller - "Yea my internet is down. When's Barry going to be back?"

me - "Probably tomorrow since its 10:30 and I'm at home"

caller - "So is Barry there I need to talk to him"

me - "No...."

caller - "Well my internet is down, I can't connect to the wifi"

me - "Are your phones working?"

caller - "Yes, of course how do you think i'm calling you"

me - "Well if your phones are working, then that means your internet is working and your wifi is down"

caller - "No the internet is down!"

me - Ok let me try something...(15 minutes later) "well i logged into your access point and it looks fine, try unplugging the modem and..

whoops i guess he unplugged the modem too soon :-D

Being the benevolent technical supervisor that I am, I typically regard such mistakes with pity instead of scorn.

I think it's just mind blowing to us the place that these people are coming from, it's surely the same feeling my mechanic feels when I come in.

Me: "The stoppies make noise"

Him: "The what? Do what?"

Me: "The stoppies, they're making a squeek noise"

Him: "The brakes?"

Me: "Yeah, that's the one."

Asian lady who learnt English in Birmingham who struggled to understand my not particularly strong Yorkshireman tongue over the phone:

Me: "Do you see the file on the desktop?" (probably came out as "du ya see file ton tesktop?")

Her: "I'm using a laptop."

Me: "On the desktop of the laptop."

Her: "I'm using a laptop."

I don't know how to describe the desktop without using the word desktop.

Ok so today was not really an desktop support issues but it kinda falls in the category of weird IT related crap.

http://img230.imageshack.us/i/photosub.jpg/

That was my setup this morning in the George Washington Bus Terminal in Washington Heights NYC. We have an event going on there monday morning and they wanted DSL installed so I was there this morning with that laptop and a netbook walking around the terminal to see how far the Wireless goes...Needless to say I was stopped by 4 Police officers who thought I was a terrorist. They all assumed after I spoke with them that I worked with Verizon (and I don't).

Im currently working as an "IT Apprentice" (as they call it) on the weekends and part of it is answering the IM system now in place where people can IM you about problems, good, in theory.

Lady up in Marketing Design Department.

Lady - "Help! The Entire Network is down! I need a very important file!"

Me - "What do you mean by the entire network? Can you be Specific?"

Lady - "All of it!"

Me - "Well, not all of it is down as we are using it for the chat session."

Me - "What are you trying to access?"

Lady - "My Documents"

Me - "Do you get any sort of Error Message or Popup?"

Lady - "No, I tried googling My Documents but I couldnt get access to them there either" (my favourite part)

heh, pretty funny stuff guys. hmm...i don't even know where to begin with the stories i've had over the years.

all i can say is...damn the elevator rides up to my floor every morning & throughout the day!

them: "oh hey, you're one of the computer guys... i've got this problem with my computer blah blah blah.. "

me: "ok, have you called help desk yet to see if they can help"

them: "well no,(pause)it's..happening to my home computer"

me: long sighhh

heh, pretty funny stuff guys. hmm...i don't even know where to begin with the stories i've had over the years.

all i can say is...damn the elevator rides up to my floor every morning & throughout the day!

them: "oh hey, you're one of the computer guys... i've got this problem with my computer blah blah blah.. "

me: "ok, have you called help desk yet to see if they can help"

them: "well no,(pause)it's..happening to my home computer"

me: long sighhh

I get the ALL the time. If it's a cute girl I give her my cell and tell her to call me when she gets home and I can try to help. If it's anyone else I pretend I just read from a script.