hiding on a router

hawksprite

I have a question. Is there anyway to hide a computer from a router (etc. looking at a routers web interface to see what computers are online) or just hide your online status but still connect to the internet? I have a vista laptop and would like to use the internet without it showing up as me connected to the internet in the routers web interface. By the way i am on a vista laptop. Thanks.

I dont know much but I am going to try.

First thing, sorry you have vista. I know the pain that goes with it XP.

I am not sure if what you are askin is possible. I do think you can redirect your connection to laby to router away from the internet. But I am sure that if you do my way it will only lead you to connecting to another computer on your network.

But I am 75% sure you cant do it without taking out the modem meaning no internet.

I have a question. Is there anyway to hide a computer from a router (etc. looking at a routers web interface to see what computers are online) or just hide your online status but still connect to the internet? I have a vista laptop and would like to use the internet without it showing up as me connected to the internet in the routers web interface. By the way i am on a vista laptop. Thanks.

If you're connecting through this router, it's going to know you're there. If it ignored your machine, you wouldn't be able to get any network traffic.

What are you trying to do (or I guess WHY are you trying to do it)? What sort of environment are you in? Do you have admin access to the router? What kind of router (if you know)?

If you're in an environment with multiple routers you might be able to route around that particular router, but usually there's only one gateway on a network, and I'm betting that's the router you're trying to avoid.

-B

If you're connecting through this router, it's going to know you're there. If it ignored your machine, you wouldn't be able to get any network traffic.

What are you trying to do (or I guess WHY are you trying to do it)? What sort of environment are you in? Do you have admin access to the router? What kind of router (if you know)?

If you're in an environment with multiple routers you might be able to route around that particular router, but usually there's only one gateway on a network, and I'm betting that's the router you're trying to avoid.

-B

Theres only one router. I have one other solution i could use to fix the problem but involves my ipod touch. Do you know of a way i can use my ipods touch WIFI on my laptop. I would need to connect the ipod touch to the internet then have my laptop use that internet without my laptop connecting to the router. Does anyone no how to do this?

Allot of consumer NAT routers will generate a list of known computers by DHCP. However others will all get this information from it's ARP table.

Your only real chance of getting close to hiding would be to run a rouge DHCP server that hands out address on a different subnet to the existing one, ensuring to fudge the mac address of the DHCP responses to match the current routers mac address. To an IDS or watcher of some nature it will appear that the router has gone nuts and is now running two DHCP servers as both DHCP responses will show up. Unless the IDS is the router, as it will see that the responses are coming from a port on the switch rather than it's self.

So, once a client has used your response for DHCP as it's address, you have your computer clone that clients mac address and hostname and send a DHCP request to the router and get a real IP address on the network. Then some simple NAT routing will allow the client who you stole the identity of to still function. This will create inconsistency in the network but should function correctly. The main inconsistency been that one mac address has two different IP addresses and are on two different ports of a switch. The other clients on the network should be fine with this as they arn't in the subnet as one of the addresses, the router might not as your computer will constantly be trying to communicate with the client to get it's nat'ed traffic to it. Might also want to setup a DMZ and put the cloned client in the DMZ so that file sharing (and the like) will still work for it.

If nothing else you can prettend to be that client later when it disappears form the network.

If having two adapters with the same mac address don't upset any switches or routers, it will probably work ok.

Theres only one router. I have one other solution i could use to fix the problem but involves my ipod touch. Do you know of a way i can use my ipods touch WIFI on my laptop. I would need to connect the ipod touch to the internet then have my laptop use that internet without my laptop connecting to the router. Does anyone no how to do this?

I still don't understand what you're trying to accomplish, why is it that you're trying to hide your computer from the router?

If you're trying to not be seen on the DHCP clients table, you can attempt to assign a static IP out of the DHCP range. Ping the address first to make sure its not in use, and copy all of your other IP settings from a "ipconfig /all".

-B

Does the router have logs that you can delete from the UI?

I don't think you can tether an ipod to your laptop you can with iphone thou.

Can you bridge your connection thru a laptop that connects the router so only that the other laptop will appear on the router logs?

No, once you connect to your neighbor's wifi you will show up on the host list.

Sure, and watch neither of the machines get to the internet.... :rolleyes:

ARP Spoof a local machine, redirect its traffic through yourself (or no where). Then clone it's MAC address. The router will still /a/ computer but it will look like the other local machine.

Another option is to sniff traffic, and wait for the machine to shutdown/leave the network and then clone its MAC address (also works good for defeating MAC Address Filtering).

ARP Spoof a local machine, redirect its traffic through yourself (or no where). Then clone it's MAC address. The router will still /a/ computer but it will look like the other local machine.

That wouldn't work as you would still have two machines with the same MAC address clashing. If you are going to the hassle of ARP spoofing then you could just filter their connection to their wireless routers web interface and remove the table line with your MAC address in it.

Another option is to sniff traffic, and wait for the machine to shutdown/leave the network and then clone its MAC address (also works good for defeating MAC Address Filtering).

This is more useful as they would only see that they were connected when they weren't.