Firefox and VLC issue.

Duelus

Ah yes, Firefox and VLC, my two most used applications, of course always running at the same time. But I am having a problem. When I load a page in firefox, my CPU usage quickly spikes up to 100 % really quick, thus causing VLC to hiccup, Which really pisses me off. The CPU I am running on this machine is an AMD sempron 2800+. Does anyone have any suggestions on making page loads a bit smoother?

You must have a problem with either of those to applications or windows (i imagine your are running windows). I have no problems with either of them on my setup.

Unless the page that you are loading has particularly resource hungry plug-ins used, such as flash, which could then cause you are problem.

make sure your using version 1.5.0.4 older versions used to eat resources like a b*$%h (dependant on what webpages you visited of course - and how long you had it running for - loo/memory paging flaw?)

Latests one seems okay :) (Opera has gotten a lot better in v9 too)

Thats a slow and old CPU there duelus :D

You could set firefox to below normal or low priority. Would probably prevent VLC from jerking. Conversly you could set VLC to abovenormal or high priority.

hey fuck you! i have a 2600! semprons pwn

You sure your using the latest version?

Do you have any webpages open in it? try closing/opening them in different combinations you may find it's one particular page.

If it isn't at a guess some sort of adware or malware.

Maybe drop the History and Cache size too (emptying the cache every once in a while used to help too)

I almost always have anywere from 5 to 100 tabs open, Yes, it is the latest version, I keep no cache nor history, maybe a cache would help, so I wouldn't have to re-render the page again.?

Hehe I think you've solved the problem yourself :)

're-render' it will probably still do this anyway when you switch between tabs but right now you probably have 100 pages of text and bits of JPG maybe even flash stored in memory only... I'm betting the cache helps :)

Thats a slow and old CPU there duelus :D

You could set firefox to below normal or low priority. Would probably prevent VLC from jerking. Conversly you could set VLC to abovenormal or high priority.

hey fuck you! i have a 2600! semprons pwn

JIGGA'S LINE OF CPU SUPERIORITY

Any Intel < Empty Space < Duron < Sempron < Sedimentary Rock < XP < 64

I've never heard of anyone being able to use a sempron longer then about 6 months. Not saying it's not possible, just that I have heard bad stories.