Remote registry doesn't work

Homeless

I have remote registry enabled on two machines and for some reason I cannot get the connection initiated. I open regedit and go to "Connect Network Registry" type in \\IP address and attempt to connect. I am prompted with a username/password prompt, but my credentials never seem to work when I put them in. Anyone know why this is occurring?

Both machines are running Windows XP SP3. The problem also remains the same when connecting from Vista x64 SP1 > XP SP 3

Two things, 1 are you on a domain with admin rights over each machine, and 2 try regedt32 instead of regedit, as I think regedt32 allows permissions, while regedit does not have advanced features for permissions, even though it lists them. I could be wrong but I remember something like this happening before. regedt32 doesn't let you merge reg files though, just edit the registry.(I think this is how it was on windows 2000, but can't remmeber if it applies to XP)

Two things, 1 are you on a domain with admin rights over each machine, and 2 try regedt32 instead of regedit, as I think regedt32 allows permissions, while regedit does not have advanced features for permissions, even though it lists them. I could be wrong but I remember something like this happening before. regedt32 doesn't let you merge reg files though, just edit the registry.(I think this is how it was on windows 2000, but can't remmeber if it applies to XP)

I have the admin logins if that's what you're referring to. It's pretty much a fresh windows install, so I believe both machines are set to workgroup. I have found a way to get remote registry working, but it requires physical access to the machine. Running secpol.msc and then changing Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts to classic makes things work, but this isn't a viable solution to me as I would have to manually modify X number of boxes. Regedt32 has the same results of regedit which is a returned value of "Access Denied"

And you have the service for remote registry on both computer running, right? (under services.msc).

I beleive that using secpol with classic means it gives the "EVERYONE" user rights to mount the remote registry. Not a good idea. I don't think this problem exists when they are all part of a domain though and there is a domain admin who has full rights over each machine in the domain. You might need to add the same user to each machine with full access rights over the registry in order for it to work, which still means going to every machine and adding the user. This is why Active Directory is nice in that when joining an XP machine to a domain in active directory, it gives the admin on the domain controller full access to each workstation, so mounting remote registry would be simple.

The alternative is turn on RDP on each machine, then just mstsc into each machine and run regedit locally to the machine itself.