Which compression/decompression utility?

tabath

Which is your favourite? I find I need a few to handle all the file formats I hve come across or is there one you use that does them all? I have tried numerous but have on my machine at the moment - wnizip, winrar, tugzip,magic disk. What do you use for those files with less usual extensions like .sit and .ufi?

For sit and other such Mac files I say an older version of Stuffit if you can find one (try oldversion.com), for everything else I use WinRAR personally, but YMMV depending on what stuff you often decompress.

Which is your favourite? I find I need a few to handle all the file formats I hve come across or is there one you use that does them all? I have tried numerous but have on my machine at the moment - wnizip, winrar, tugzip,magic disk. What do you use for those files with less usual extensions like .sit and .ufi?

I second IZarc. Free, fast and efficient... and shame on anyone not compressing to .zip or .rar. I think sit and ufi are proprietary to their own programs (Stuffit and ?? (unless you meant .uif.))

Drives me nuts when people intentionally choose less prevalent file types with no apparent advantage :).

Actually tar's "z" option will pipe through compress so it's not as off topic as you might think. But it was certainly a litty "troll-y"...

how the fuck is that troll-y. Thats what i use, im giving my opinion, thats what a forum is about.

For windows I just use WinRAR and 7-zip. Linux, I use whatever is built in, as most files are either tarballz, lzm or some other gzip/bzip compresses or archive type file.