Security+

Brian Sierakowski

Hey there,

I am new to the forums and new to the entire security scene. I know a few basic common-knowledge things about network security, but that's about it... I am taking the Security + exam in 6 days so I'll let you know how it goes. I've been studying for 3 weeks (7 hour days) reading A LOT and watching lectures/power points on Cert.org. The curriculum on Cert.org is for the old test, but since I really don't have a huge security background I figured it wouldn't hurt. It's been very beneficial and helps reinforce the material in the book I'm reading. Speaking of the book, it is "CompTIA Security+" by Emmett Dulaney. I find the book to be full of material and very easy and practical to read. I really enjoy the notes he puts in the book. He will teach you what you need to know for the exam and then immediately afterwards he will explain how that topic applies to the real world. He even points out certain things that you will most likely never see in the real world but are good to know for the exam. I'll let you guys know just how good these materials were once I finish the exam. Wish me luck!

I'm currently a programmer doing web and windows based programs for a processing company and from this end of the field most companies don't care for the certs when it comes to a programmer, but for some reason they like the idea of security/network guys with them.

I'm planning on moving back to do networking (been a few years since I actually did it OTJ), so I am wondering if you guys have any good resources or suggestions on some books or writers that are good for things like Network+, Security+, etc.

tx

I got my sec+ as a free addon to my mcse exams. It was a very basic test; basic as in stuff like "should you password protect accounts?". Sec+ might be useful to someone that only has a couple of years of experience: useful on your resume. For me after getting both mcse and sec+ I'm embarassed to even say that I have them to anyone technical. It helps when speaking with human resources or some manager that delegates instead of learning how to use a computer. But to another I.T. guy I'll only admit I have the certs if they drag it out of me. I didn't bother with the tests until I had 13 years of experience under my belt and by that time the tests were no-brainers. If someone told me they had SANS certs then that would pique my interest. But if a sysadmin attempts to prove his value to me by telling me has MCSE, MSP, A+ or Sec+, he'll definitly leave a negative impression.

I got my sec+ as a free addon to my mcse exams. It was a very basic test; basic as in stuff like "should you password protect accounts?". Sec+ might be useful to someone that only has a couple of years of experience: useful on your resume. For me after getting both mcse and sec+ I'm embarassed to even say that I have them to anyone technical. It helps when speaking with human resources or some manager that delegates instead of learning how to use a computer. But to another I.T. guy I'll only admit I have the certs if they drag it out of me. I didn't bother with the tests until I had 13 years of experience under my belt and by that time the tests were no-brainers. If someone told me they had SANS certs then that would pique my interest. But if a sysadmin attempts to prove his value to me by telling me has MCSE, MSP, A+ or Sec+, he'll definitly leave a negative impression.

Well... yeah, lol.

Anyone who tries to "impress" anyone with the fact they have Sec+ should be shot down. Unless you're getting certs that have a VERY low rate of success, you shouldn't be bragging.

Plus, if you're smart enough to pass your CCIE, you probably don't care what other people are thinking :).

all the ILT books are made by axzopress they also make good practice test "certblaster" that comes free with their books.. (although the passwords are easy to decrypt if you know their scheme)

Network + 2005 pw is c_network+

Network + 2009 pw is c_net+09

Security + pw is c_security

Security + 2008 pw is c_sec+08

Linux + pw is c_linux+

they all use the same c_***** scheme

• 2 weeks later...