Something I cooked up in GIMP

pritchard9

Had this concept for a while, but took some thinking to actually get it done. Still a bit unsure of it to be honest. There was no real use for this, but I thought the idea was worth atleast an attempt.

opensourceslashlotsagra.jpg

What do you think? Ideas? Suggestions?

post-11088-1243240930_thumb.jpg

@Hex

Wow, thanks :). Aw, awesome. Ehm, not too long to be honest. It took me a while to realise how to get it the way I wanted, but doing it didnt take long :). Yeah, I love GIMP myself. Love the custom paintbrushes and plugins :).

Oooh, I'll check your stuff out soon :).

EDIT:

Ooh, man, theyre awesome! Haha, love the street fighter II with Darren, Snubs and Mubix :P. And the evil server ones are damn cool. Might nab them for my desktop at some point :D

@Wire

Haha, thanks man :). If only :P

Thanks man, I appreciate it! Yah the one with everybody in the sf2 stage took awhile.. and didnt turn out the way I wanted but I couldnt find a SF2 font and I just ended up getting lazy with it toward the end. TBH I just like to let the ep. go for a day or so so everybody will start posting the obligatory same picture/different caption thing, then watch and find a few shots that are interesting and just take it from there.

I'm still learning alot about gimp. I have a few strategies that I use for alot of the pix I make but for the most part I just try to have fun. BTW, all graphics from the sf2 stage were shots taken from me in game for that photo. Damn I did'nt know how much multiple background movements there were in that game till I made that photo!

I just try to keep the scene simple and pay attention to detail.

Haha nice man :). Aaah, Simple is always best. Means you have to really think about everything your doing. I have this problem where I do way too much, and it just looks really busy and crap. And then I mess up, and cover it up with more stuff.

I go mental with the amount of layers I use too. Sheer insanity :P.

Blatant self-promotion a-hoy - My Deviant Art

Your whites are too blown out. You have lost all of the detail in the highlights. This causes the large white space on the left to become too dominant. You want the eye to rest on the text not empty white space. This is then compounded by the cropping where there is a small dark space next to that white space creates visual tension giving the white space additional weight.

I took your image and quickly cropped it and moved the text up to give you an idea of how I would change it. I can't add detail back to the whites however. Ignore the black box around the text, like I said I did this quickly.

Other than that, it looks pretty good. Keep doing what you are doing.

post-14201-1243548594_thumb.jpg

Your whites are too blown out. You have lost all of the detail in the highlights. This causes the large white space on the left to become too dominant. You want the eye to rest on the text not empty white space. This is then compounded by the cropping where there is a small dark space next to that white space creates visual tension giving the white space additional weight.

Wow, that does actually make sense. I was kinda wanting the whites to pop out at you, asthough the code was ripping out of the screen. But I understand what your saying about this drawing focus away from the text.

I took your image and quickly cropped it and moved the text up to give you an idea of how I would change it. I can't add detail back to the whites however. Ignore the black box around the text, like I said I did this quickly.

Nice man. I like this actually. Kind of inspires me to make a banner of out this.. *strokes beardless beard area*

Other than that, it looks pretty good. Keep doing what you are doing.

Thanks man :)

@Hex: Haha, thanks man. And Im not too sure about that. Its not hard, once you find out the simple steps for abstract-y GIMP-age, it's really quite (basically, i took the stuff i learnt from GIMP tutorials online and changed it up a bit *blushes*). I think your stuff in the Backgrounds section out does mine. The SF2 concept is pure genius :)

No problem, I went to art school so if you want any more help or explanations feel free to ask.

I will make a recommendation if you like art and code. Check out Proce55ing. It is a very simple language on top of Java that will allow you to quickly make algorithmic art.

@prichardo, thanks man! It was pretty fun doing the sf2 one, the only aggrivation was trying to get the resolution up high enough to take a proper shot *fyi* if your going to take stills of a rom in action, just use the alt+print screen instead of the built in snapshot option of the emulator.. wish I had done that thinking back on it...

as far as skill, nah, I mean a know a few things about layers and what-not. My main little secret is with the smudge tool, but I do not use it a-lot (i.e. check out hak.5 red and grey feather photo) that pic was basically just fill background with black, add some red and grey lines with the pencil, and then start smudging. After that, add logo and edit accordingly. There's a lot more I want to do with this strategy, just havent got around to it *yet*

btw, has anyone heard anything about the gimp 3 beta? I downloaded it a WHILLLLE ago, but they took it down right afterward and havent heard or seen anything of it since...

@Hex

I'll keep that in mind mate :). And nice idea with the pencil and smudge. I use a new layer, and the gaussian blur filter far too often.

Sorry man, haven't heard about GIMP3 beta. Didnt even know they released one. Though i'll be on the lookout for it now :P. Did you notice any major changes?

Oh yah, It was really nice. For one, you could change the window stylings from 3 different options off the bat (classic, something else, and ps like) I'm thinking someone accidentally posted that and they took it right off because it was right before I had to reload one time, and after I did it was not on the site. Everything was laid out a whole lot better. Maybe it was really buggy or they didnt want to get into a lawsuit over it with Adobe? I really wish I would have kept that download.... I may still have it but god knows where it actually is. I wanna say it has a few more filters built in too. Like I said it was a good while ago (maybe even a year ago) so it's hard to remember.

Then again maybe it wasnt a beta 3, but like a beta 2.x. I know they don't come out with a new revision that that often, and I remember though it was definitely a beta.

BTW here's a proof of concept on that smudge I was telling you about. I did it just now, and only took me a few minutes, even though it really isnt anything (but after I made it I was like.... a butthole of flames?!)

heh. never know what you come up with.

proofofconcept.jpg

Also something that helps me if you know it's going to be a black and white only pic like this one, use opposite colors (i.e. white background and black for the airbrush) and then just color invert. It helps me anyway.

I'v noticed you can also use this technique to do a dragon or tribal flames, but I did it on accident so I haven't really got it down yet :P

Damn Hex, that looks awesome :).

Haha, a butthole of flames. I just see awesomeness :).

Damn, that description of GIMP doesnt sound too bad at all! I just hope its not too bloat-y. Old laptop + bloatware = headache :(.

Looks good though man :)