A.P.E Attack Pre-installed Enviroment

mv1608l

What he is trying to do is the utilman swap, because on boot in XP, you can start utilman before you login with "windows key + u". I assume it used to work in Vista as well, but they probably patched against that attack. If anything, windows is yours to do what you want if you are booting into the live OS. I'm sure there are ultilities to add users or change passwords, why not just use one of those to gain full access if you are already have access to everything else. Hell, just use ophcrack and get the real password, then you don't need any tricks to get onto the system at a later time.

Thank you very much for all your replies. I am trying to do the utilman swap in vista but no joy. I will try and use ophcrack. Is there any way i can use the utilman exploit against a patched vista machine?

Thanks again for replying :)

Thank you very much for all your replies. I am trying to do the utilman swap in vista but no joy. I will try and use ophcrack. Is there any way i can use the utilman exploit against a patched vista machine?

Thanks again for replying :)

If you left the orginal utilman in tact, would it still launch the program? Im not using vista at the moment(waiting to install 7 down the road when its officially released, wiped out all my Vista installs and back to XP for now) but can anyone confirm it launches on a default install, or even SP1 updated system? If it doesn't then probably not going to happen, but if you have physical access and a live environment, this negates any need for the utilman trick, as you pretty much can do whatever you want at that point. You would just need the tools to change, add, remove or whatever it is you want to do with the accounts. Even a live linux disc would let you mount the hdd and have access to files. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?