Small surf OS?

devilish

Hello!

My girlfriends dad wants to get a fast and secure operating system for his old Pentium Tillamook Laptop (233MHz, 64MB, 10GB Disk). He currently runs Win98 with no virus protection because ha could not find a working av software anymore. So he decided to switch to linux but it has to be very simple in installation and use because the only way for me to help him is the phone.

We've tryed Ubuntu but the live CD wouldnt even boot. DSLs Desktop was too much for him and the archlinux installation.... oh no.

He only needs the following things:

- a Webbrowser with popup and add blocker

- an easy way to mount/dismount USB sticks and to watch the pictures on them

- plug and play network konfiguration... (dhcp)

any suggestions?

Psst.. Xandros (The EeePC OS) exist on some torrenttrackers.

But hey, winners don't do warrez.. :rolleyes:

Otherwise, DSL is quite a good option. :)

Xandros ! haha i knew it had a name, dsl is a good choice to, but xandros is pretty basic for the less computer savvy

good call gEEEk

Anyone ever used the Xandros Desktop? How is it? do you just install normal debian packages to add in apps? Does it support wine and windows programs? (formatting the gf's computer soon, might throw it on) Should make for less for me to fix :P

I wouldn't expect Xandros, or most other modern distros for that matter, to run well on that system. Personally I'd go with Windows 2000. If DSL's desktop was "too much" then you're very low on options, anything pretty and friendly enough for Joe Shmoe to use is going to be too heavy for that machine. Sure, Linux will run on just about anything, but you have to skimp on the luxuries.

Edit: When you say "he decided to switch to Linux", how exactly did he hear about it and what were his expectations when he said he'd try it? Smells a lot like someone told him Linux doesn't get viruses and he said "awesome!" without knowing much else about it to me.

Yes, after doing some more research I hope that I can get him some older version of a anti virus software so that he can keep his Win2k installation.

Thanks a lot for your greate support!

Edit: When you say "he decided to switch to Linux", how exactly did he hear about it and what were his expectations when he said he'd try it? Smells a lot like someone told him Linux doesn't get viruses and he said "awesome!" without knowing much else about it to me.

Well, looks like he has bought some sort of magazine. He likes the idear of open source and of course saving money. I've tryed to convince him to buy better hardware but... meh

Yes, after doing some more research I hope that I can get him some older version of a anti virus software so that he can keep his Win2k installation.

Thanks a lot for your greate support!

Well, looks like he has bought some sort of magazine. He likes the idear of open source and of course saving money. I've tryed to convince him to buy better hardware but... meh

AVG still works with Win2000, but I thought you said he had 98?

http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-viru...n_free_670#tba3

You might need to add some memory to that thing though. At the very least, if you put 156 meg of ram, you could put XP on there. I had put XP on my wifes 300mhz, 128meg ram Gateway and worked for the longest time. Slow, but it worked for what she needed and she was at least using something more supported.

Has anyone tried ReactOS on a netbook? http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

http://www.reactos.org/en/news_page_51.html

Reduced minimum memory requirement to 32Mb

The system looks like to be made for Win2k, i ran XP and a 733Mhz with 256 MB in ram it did struggle.

Depends on how you configure it, but XP Pro would be better than home because you can really tweak it. Also, there are tons of things you can disable in XP that are on by default which slow the system down, like disk indexing services, etc.

AVG still works with Win2000, but I thought you said he had 98?

Yes I thougt it was 98 but my girlfriend told me that she has installed 2000 on her last visit home.

We've now decided to use an older version of Antivir that still gets database updates.

You might need to add some memory to that thing though. At the very least, if you put 156 meg of ram, you could put XP on there. I had put XP on my wifes 300mhz, 128meg ram Gateway and worked for the longest time. Slow, but it worked for what she needed and she was at least using something more supported.

I've tryed a year ago but it seems that thing doesn't like that idea....

I think I've found a greate x-mas present for him. Will search for an xp ready machine on ebay when it's getting cold again.