GHRYGGZ

What Should I Do?  

58 members have voted

1. 1.

• Leave the site.
    • Simply reform my ways.
    • Unhook my modem.
    • Nothing

I agree for you Vako. When you want to join a community, and this goes for any forum not just Hak.5. Lurk around for a bit, see what happens, how people react in certian situations. Then after you have accumulated sense and feel for what happens in that community try to be nice about your posting, don't come with to strong of a personality, let people become accustomed to you.

Oh, and another word of advice. Most posts with word counts under 25 are worthless dribble. Except for this post. Because I'm going to pad it with enough words to form a decent paragraph. It's a pretty easy thing to do actually. Just type the first thing that comes to mind. Like bunnies. Everyone likes bunnies right? Oh, and yes, I agree with Vako and Duelus. Bunnies. Then again I think TomB and Bigbro69 are joking around. I think. Bunnies.

I get nailed quite a bit for random posting on other forumns but it's just because i like to have a good time and joke around. I can also be serious when need be. I kind of like the comunity outreach threads like the desktop of the month and things like that because it helps you to get to know who you are chillin with. I guess i am a serious goofball :).

My advice is just stay out of flame wars and posting random junk threads about nothing and you fit in just fine.

I get nailed quite a bit for random posting on other forumns but it's just because i like to have a good time and joke around. I can also be serious when need be. I kind of like the comunity outreach threads like the desktop of the month and things like that because it helps you to get to know who you are chillin with. I guess i am a serious goofball :).

My advice is just stay out of flame wars and posting random junk threads about nothing and you fit in just fine.

I would have to agree. If you havn't been told the story of syntaxerror, he was a kid who decided to load the forum with random shit that didn't pertain to anything that wa being discussed (although some of it was 'ok') and we as a community decieded to give his home village their idiot back.

Having said that, I feel that this is the way your going and my advice would be to stop, observe, and take part in the community discussions by providing VALUABLE information. From what I've read, I percieve you as a competent individual who knows what's going on and can learn a great deal from the others here who know far more.

I don't want to see another individual being flamed, banned, whatever, for being who they are. The more people we have, the far better.

DISCLAIMER: This post was written while to authors blood stream contained alcohol. Proper grammer, spelling and overall coherency was not taken into consideration and therefore the above post should not be critized accordingly.

So how do you know that someone you ban doesn't just go and create another profile? It seems like it would be pretty cool if you could just block a specific IP. There's prolly something really wrong with this that I'm no thinking of right now, but as of now 4 AM it seems like a good idea.

So how do you know that someone you ban doesn't just go and create another profile? It seems like it would be pretty cool if you could just block a specific IP. There's prolly something really wrong with this that I'm no thinking of right now, but as of now 4 AM it seems like a good idea.

Most consumer IP adresses are dynamic or everchangings and akk AOL adresses change when you dial up again (or at least they did in my area when i had AOL). So by banning an IP you only bann people on that IP Address at the time they try to log on. unless you ban a range of IPs, takes a long time with the service i use, and you also block other people trying to use the IP addresses in range.

sorry, i said i wouldn't respond in this thread but i think people could agree this was a meaningful post.

sorry, i said i wouldn't respond in this thread but i think people could agree this was a meaningful post.

It was, and a damn good point too. If somone where to be banned and then come back under a different profile, as long as they learned their lesson, then the ban did it's job. I would venture to say that most people who get banned from forums get pissed and talk a lot of crap about it in other forums. Then they create a new profile and lurk to see what people are saying about them.

Wasn't syntax the only ban we have had around here?

Yup, aside from spammers, Syntaxerror was the only guy who was banned, he was given fair warning but kept on being a dick. Shame it camed to a ban, but if he's returned he has reformed his ways some what.

Now with the DHCP thing, my ISP has dynamic IP's, but in practice you unlikely to see it change more than once a 1/4 year. So if an IP ban was in place on me, it would take effort (ie rebooting the modem at the right times, in the right fashion) to change my IP and make a return. Which, TBH, if we're banning someone, there not gonna know how to do that anyway.

Yup, aside from spammers, Syntaxerror was the only guy who was banned, he was given fair warning but kept on being a dick. Shame it camed to a ban, but if he's returned he has reformed his ways some what.

Now with the DHCP thing, my ISP has dynamic IP's, but in practice you unlikely to see it change more than once a 1/4 year. So if an IP ban was in place on me, it would take effort (ie rebooting the modem at the right times, in the right fashion) to change my IP and make a return. Which, TBH, if we're banning someone, there not gonna know how to do that anyway.

Or they could just use a proxy to get around the ban :roll: