Next Gen Homeserver

gEEEk

The super small computer "Fit-PC2" is being released during 2009.

1718913486.jpg

Apparently, it's ideal for home servers due to the low power use (6 watt).

It makes use of an Intel Atom Z530 running on 1,6 gigaherts, 1 gigabyte RAM and a 160 gigabyte HD.

It's got all the necessary components such as 802.11g-standard, ethernet, USB etc..

And this tiny machine can apparently handle a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 via DVI.

I'm not trying to make to promote this machine or anything, I just wanted to enlighten you.

Because this truly is ideal for either a low-end media center or a homeserver just sitting next to your router/switch with no need for any screen or additional equipment.

The price is around 350 USD.

What's your opinions about this product? Is it worth the money? I'm really considering buying one actually.

/ gEEEk

Not good bang for your buck.

Get a Mini-ITX atom dual-core, they are really good value. Not as small, a tiny bit more power hungry, but a lot more power and proper multi-threading which I personally think is necessary in a server.

The fit pc is better suited for other, more interesting activities.

I dont just mean cost vs. power and as well forgot us dollars lol

That means roughly $700 au and i could build a way better server than that lol.

Stupid flu. Shoot me........................

Sounds like a great thing to attach to a *cough* anonymous cable modem and just dump somewhere and have it act as whatever kind of server you want. A bit pricey though imo.

It'd be good for what I want to do when I get my own house which is something to store music and movies rather than have to have a dvd player everywhere I go.

Given that it only has a 2.5" HDD, your not going to be storing much music or movies on it. Plus with no RAID your not going to have any help when the disk dies unless your really good with backups. One video out connection is poor as well for this and it's not going to have good audio either. Also its not going to be able to play HD video, you'd be better trying to get something ION based if you want to use it for media work.

Not good bang for your buck.

Get a Mini-ITX atom dual-core, they are really good value. Not as small, a tiny bit more power hungry, but a lot more power and proper multi-threading which I personally think is necessary in a server.

The fit pc is better suited for other, more interesting activities.

I'm not sure you could build that kind of machine without spending atleast 400 bucks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I took a look at my local computer dealer and the prices for all the components for this machine isn't going to be cheap.

I've found another machine that Acer is releasing with a Geforce 9400 card (integrated obviously). Might be a perfect system to bring to LAN partys.. Offcourse it's not going to run Crysis, but some low-end LAN games.. :)

/gEEEk

I'm not sure you could build that kind of machine without spending atleast 400 bucks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I took a look at my local computer dealer and the prices for all the components for this machine isn't going to be cheap.

/gEEEk

I can build it for about $400, even if thats $50 over the Fit PC, I would consider I was getting a lot more for my money.

Tranquil PC make one which is fanless, its a bit more price, but I'm actually considering getting a 64GB SSD for it, then it would be completely silent, while having everything that I want.

I agree with stingwray and some others...

This is basically an Acer Aspire One w/o a screen but with a DVI out, and at least you cold take that with you to watch movies (btw, the aspire one does play sd dvd video mighty well) and well.. the AO's have dual core procs as well... and you can usually find them for cheaper than this box... hands down.. this would be a great server for other things but not a media center.

the AO's have dual core procs as well...

Not as far as I know, you might want to check that. Hyperthreading is not dual core.

As far as I am aware, there are no laptops using the dual core atom, because of the increased power usage.

• 2 weeks later...