Jasager tutorial collection - just an idea.

Hi,

Having successfully hacked my fon and briefly connecting to the thing and thinking "this is so cool", I was at a bit of a loss how to put the little creature into good use.

As a complete noob, once I had actually hacked the fon, I kinda sat back and thought ok...now what.

I realise that there are forum topics covering off on connecting jasager through your internet connection and many other topics that deal with certain jasager issues that take ages to pour through.

I decided at the time to shelf the pineapple until it (and me i guess) matured a little and people started to share more of their ideas on uses and ways they accomplished it.

I came back to the project again this weekend and thought I'd take another look at it. Alas I'm still at a loss.

I understand that experimentation is always part of the fun, but I'm a person who learns quickly through watching and doing.

What I'm really looking to do is put together a collection of tutorials to show the complete jasager project from installation, upgrade, right through to putting it to use in a network/pentesting/interception scenario.

Maybe some of you guys and gals out there have found some really great ideas and applications for the fon and perhaps thought about putting a tutorial together...or perhaps you've found a tutorial on an alternative site that you've found useful.

I'm not only looking for people to write tutorials just to help me, but to conclusively put together a reliable archive of information. I know a wiki may be useful for this BUT...the wiki here has left a lot to be desired.

I'm looking at storing all these guides on a web site and I will give full credit to the authors. I'm not looking to claim anyones work as my own....my motives are altruistic.

I'm kinda surprised in a way that the project doesn't have such an archive.

So....if you're inclined to help and share your knowledge, please submit your tutorials.

There's a few ways you could do this and I'm completely open to suggestions.

You can send these on to me via email, post your links or link to your tutorial on your own webspace.

I hope you think this a worthwhile idea, because as a noob in the art of the FON, we need all the help we can get.

duncan.r.ross@gmail.com

A couple of things for you to try, on the machine that is providing internet to the Fon, install ferret and hamster and watch what is happening, also install sslstrip (see other thread in this forum for video howto) and strip all ssl. You can then play with wireshark and other packet sniffers to see what traffic is flowing.

Something like dsniff will allow you to capture passwords as they flow through you.

Probably best getting Piranha released beyond alpha first, then start doing things like this.

I've not much time to spend on guides but happy to help if you want to write things.

• 3 months later...
Thanks dude, sounds very interesting. I'm looking forward to trying those things out.

What do you think of the idea of collating or creating a file of "walkthrough" guides and such?

hi so are u lot making a walk throught becausae i want to get a fon but i do not no what i will be able to do with it so please could you email me back telling me what i will be able to do with a pineapple and also is it worth me making one my self or buying one from hak shop

my email address is dead_virus87@hotmail.com

i also have msn would be nice to talk about fon and hacking and a lot more

from marcus

• 2 years later...

Sounds like an awesome idea putting it all together! Theres people out there like me struggling to get info on this! Would be great to have it all compiled into one list or place to really learn from! :)

As digininja said above and multiple others have said throughout other threads, there is a wealth of information throughout this forum and on the wiki. Please stop digging up old threads. This has been dead for almost 3 years!!

If you try to help yourself instead of asking for someone to hold your hand, people are more likely to help!

You'll find it has already been done http://www.wifipineapple.com/doku.php

Ohh I found that... Just found it to be not exactly NOOB friendly. In fairness I know most of that stuff is basic knowledge but coming from a hospitality background it takes me a while to wrap my head around coding etc...What I wish was that it would just have a mark iv section. I see all the packages etc... But how do I install them? I want to configure the ui to have urlsnarf showing the websites like darren showed the baltic episode of the pineapple mark III. Im certain these are basic things but it would really help speed up learning how to get the maximum out of the jasager. Been looking at your site too actually and see LOADS of stuff on there but again not sure how to work it. The jasper package you have there (Jasager package 2.1) can I install that on my mark iv? Does it improve it. Theres lots of information out there. It just seems scattered in the sense that I need to find the HOW to get certain things working the way I want.... Maybe I'm just messed up from sitting at my computer for hours at a time lol. ill get there eventually... :) Thanks for at least posting a reply man! Much appreciated!

The best thing to do is to work out what you want to end up with and break it down into small chunks then look at each one and work out what order they need to be done in.

What you will then probably find is that most things have been answered and if it hasn't you can ask a quite specific question and hopefully get an answer. When you do ask though make sure you give as much detail as you can and show that you've at least had a go at answering it yourself, people tend to get a bit annoyed when they get the impression that people just want to be spoon fed and haven't tried looking for themselves.

Hope you get it sorted as you want it.

Thanks guys. Ive been looking through forums, youtube, googling etc... Up to now I've been very careful to what I post. If I really get stuck ill try to be a pain in the nicest possible way :D

General rule, if you show you've put effort in and show a bit of gratitude then you'll get on well, if you are an arse, demand answers or don't put effort in yourself you'll either be ignored or given attention you don't want.

General rule, if you show you've put effort in and show a bit of gratitude then you'll get on well, if you are an arse, demand answers or don't put effort in yourself you'll either be ignored or given attention you don't want.

And this, sir, is the reason people don't like the *nix community. Forums make people feel stupid for asking questions; They'd rather flame and scold for 5 minutes instead of providing an answer. I can see how some get frustrated, but that's what teaching is. If you don't want to help, don't be here. I wish I could say to my students; "I covered that in a lecture 3 years ago, go look it up" knowing full well they weren't part of that class 3 years ago People forget that when they become proficient at something, they lose patience with others who aren't at their level; you've forgotten what it's like to learn. Digging through threads of forums is overwhelming when really you believe you have a simple question that no one will answer.

That sums up most of the security forums.

Sorry for the rant; It'll be the only one like it.

And this, sir, is the reason people don't like the *nix community. Forums make people feel stupid for asking questions; They'd rather flame and scold for 5 minutes instead of providing an answer. I can see how some get frustrated, but that's what teaching is. If you don't want to help, don't be here. I wish I could say to my students; "I covered that in a lecture 3 years ago, go look it up" knowing full well they weren't part of that class 3 years ago People forget that when they become proficient at something, they lose patience with others who aren't at their level; you've forgotten what it's like to learn. Digging through threads of forums is overwhelming when really you believe you have a simple question that no one will answer.

People get frustrated when the same questions are being asked over and over. That's why there is a search button. As digininja eloquently put it, you show effort, people will help; else, you will be ignored, etc. Just please show that you made an effort and don't want someone to hold your hand. That is all the "*nix community" wants. We don't mind helping. *If you follow Mr-Protocol's Guide about how to ask for help, people will see that you have made that effort.*

Also, remember that the WiFi Pineapple is not a toy, but a tool. It is not a "hack-in-a-box" for you to steal your girlfriends Facebook password.

Thanks, and Good Luck as you learn. :)

If someone came to you said said "I couldn't be bothered coming to the lecture on Monday morning, do it again for me now" would you do it or would you tell them to sod off? If they came and said "I couldn't attend Monday but I've read all the slides, looked up some things but still have a couple of questions, can you help?" would you help then?

What I'm trying to say is that for me, and most of the people I know on these forums, we are happy to answer any questions, however basic or daft they may be, as long as the person asking has put that bit of effort in and, for want of a better word, deserves the time we will have to put in to answer the question.

Taken from the Pinned thread in the "Questions" forum: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

It sums it all up nicely I think

telot

I do have to say i could have fallen into being "spoon fed" . But to be honest that is not why i bought the pineapple. I bought it to lean something new. As i have asked some questions lately that seem basic. I have researched for 5 days for at least 5 hours a night. Leaning something new is what i like to do. I built combat robots for fun and for police departments on my spare time but i am getting bored at the moment. I figured i would get into controlling my robots with wifi. It seamed like a challenge for me. As i am finding out a great challenge. Searching through post after post is how i came upon the wifi pineapple. So thank you for all your help. :D

@ over 2500 views, this is quite a 'hot-topic'. There has to be some balance. I am against 'turn-key' pen-testing devices. Simply because if you didn't have the knowledge to begin with, you may end up doing real damage. However, people also have to start somewhere. After a sleepless night digging through a root session, one's head gets clutterd with data. And often this becomes very difficult to sort out.

I must have done something myself, for I am now ignored here....

I have spent 10 years studying computer technology with no schooling. I have studied the entire cisco internetworking technology handbook. I taught myself perl. I learned basic html, have extensive knowledge of the microsoft family of OS's and their respective suite of bundled programs. Self taught linux.

I'm not going to stop, I have NEVER had anyone to ask questions to. I assumed after a decade of self-learning that I would be able to follow instructions and do not need 'step by step'.