Easy question: Will Smoothwall run in a VM?

Nophix

I'm looking at virtualizing my home network and getting down to 2 physical servers from a total of 5 right now.

I tore my whole network down, with the exception of the basic DSL router, 1 pc, and my laptop, while I configure all of this.

What I'd like to know is if I can move my smoothwall from a physical box, which is currently an AMD 500mhz processor and 128mb RAM, with 2 100m nics, to one of my servers. The 2 I'm going to run full-time are multi-processor, 3gb RAM each, and are Gigabit compliant. Not that the Gig is a big deal since the Smoothwall is basically the internet pipe only, but it would be nice to eliminate one more physical machine.

Has anyone tried this?

I'm looking at virtualizing my home network and getting down to 2 physical servers from a total of 5 right now.

I tore my whole network down, with the exception of the basic DSL router, 1 pc, and my laptop, while I configure all of this.

What I'd like to know is if I can move my smoothwall from a physical box, which is currently an AMD 500mhz processor and 128mb RAM, with 2 100m nics, to one of my servers. The 2 I'm going to run full-time are multi-processor, 3gb RAM each, and are Gigabit compliant. Not that the Gig is a big deal since the Smoothwall is basically the internet pipe only, but it would be nice to eliminate one more physical machine.

Has anyone tried this?

It will run. I worry about running a firewall as an application though, cause really that's what it becomes when running in a vm. In my opinion it would be better to just pick up an older low power laptop, or mini-itx machine to run the firewall as a dedicated box.

It will run. I worry about running a firewall as an application though, cause really that's what it becomes when running in a vm. In my opinion it would be better to just pick up an older low power laptop, or mini-itx machine to run the firewall as a dedicated box.

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/47

Yup, they already did all the work for you.