Piranha 2 + Jasager 2.1

Sorry for starting a new topic but I'd like to ensure this is placed prominently enough.

It's Jasager time! Piranha 2 alpha4 got released today and this is the very first build that introduces Jasager 2.1 into my firmware. I'd like to take the opportunity to thank digininja for his support and great teamwork - he did a good job with the integration of Jasager and patching of madwifi. The full release announcement (with additional information) for Piranha 2 alpha4 can be found at http://www.fonerahacks.com/forums/viewtopi...mp;p=1844#p1844 as usual.

I'd like to make very clear that the participation of the Hak5 community is mission-critical this time from a testing perspective. Nobody knows Jasager better than YOU, so please report bugs, either here, at http://fonerahacks.com/forums or at http://piranha.klashed.net

The whole Hak5 community this certainly welcome to join the FoneraHacks testing team at #fonerahacks on irc.freenode.net - please support this collaboration between Piranha and Jasager the best that you can.

Thanks for listening,

orange

Well it loads without issue on my 2201 but have the issue that I cannot get an Ip address.

Is piranha compiled for the fon and not Fon+? I had the same issue when I tired loading the fon org. firmware on my 2201.

What is the base for piranha? can I load a openwrt and add the package reps from piranha to add the necessary packages and patches?

Is there a list of tools built into Piranah2?

Please have a look at http://piranha.klashed.net/pub/2.0/packages/ - the repository is a 1:1 mirror of the jffs2. If you have any particular questions about certain tools, feel free to ask. The release announcement for each Piranha 2 alpha release (including changelog) can be found within this thread http://www.fonerahacks.com/forums/viewtopi...p?f=3&t=320

@jdogherman

I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to support general "how to install whatever to 2201" questions - I hope you don't mind this statement cause there's definitely no offense intended - it's just that Piranha 2 is based on OpenWrt 8.09 branch and everything that's supported by OpenWrt 8.09 is supported the same way by Piranha 2 alpha4. I don't know about the 2201's model specifics - I'm running a bunch of 2100s here, but there's no difference in the 2100/2201 images from both OpenWrt and Piranha, it's actually just the same.

For your reference: Piranha 2 alpha4 broadcasts a wpa2-psk encrypted SSID "default" with passwd "k4m1k4z3" while stock OpenWrt 8.09 does not - that's the only difference from an initial network setup perspective.

can I load a openwrt and add the package reps from piranha to add the necessary packages and patches?

While this might be possible, that does not make too much sense - I'd highly recommend installing Piranha 2 alpha4 instead of fiddling Piranha 2 alpha4 packages into stock OpenWrt 8.09. It's not just the packages cause e.g. digininja's karma patch is not applied to OpenWrt 8.09's stock madwifi nor are other Piranha 2 patches.

HTH,

orange

Just brainstorming to the ether here:

The thing is I had jasager beta firmware running on my 2201 without issue. but the piranha dosen't seem to work, I dont see that wireless ssid.

Has anyone else tried this firmware on the 2201?

@Orange

The reason I was thinking of building it from OWRT 8.09 is that I could then find what breaks the router and be able to go back and find how to fix it.

I'm running it on 2201. Haven't had any issues with assigning IP addresses through a wired connection. I will try connecting to the wireless later.

@orange The Kismet Drone, does that need to connect to a Kismet server?

Just brainstorming to the ether here:

The thing is I had jasager beta firmware running on my 2201 without issue. but the piranha dosen't seem to work, I dont see that wireless ssid.

Has anyone else tried this firmware on the 2201?

@Orange

The reason I was thinking of building it from OWRT 8.09 is that I could then find what breaks the router and be able to go back and find how to fix it.

IC your point clearly. Let's try to find out what causes the issues you have. Have you flashed using the provided instructions? http://piranha.klashed.net/pub/inst

Have you done a full initialization flash as described there? fis init -f

Have you used fis create -l 0x00700000 rootfs while flashing the rootfs - Piranha 2 alpha4 differs here from stock OpenWrt (704kb kernel vs. 768kb kernel) while this is just a reason of the Archlinux GCC I'm using at my buildhost.

I'm running it on 2201. Haven't had any issues with assigning IP addresses through a wired connection.

As you see taiyed14 doesn't have the issues you encounter using exactely the same fon model. Please check everything you've done twice to be 100% sure it's not a user error - I'm sorry for the discomfort but it should work out-of-the-box. Never had an issue with alpha1..4, while running them on 2100 at least.

@orange The Kismet Drone, does that need to connect to a Kismet server?

Indeed, you need a kismet-server! The kismet-drone is fully preconfigured though for usage on the fon - it accepts connections on TCP port 3501 from all machines in range of 192.168.1.0/24

To change this configuration please adjust /etc/firewall.user respectively /etc/kismet_drone.conf

HTH

orange

Alright I got it working... Must have been the flasher... EasyFlash.

tried it with FonFlash and it worked (took forever 20 mins)

but it worked.

Great, have fun with it! Jasager testing is highly appreciated.

@all

If you encounter any strange behaviour like jdogherman did, please report what method you used for flashing. The instructions at http://piranha.klashed.net/pub/inst are provided for a particular reason and I'd like to avoid wasting of time by "supporting" 3rd party tools like "EasyFlash" - that's imho the best example that the EASIEST way is to do it manually - the reason? it works!!!

PS: if you urgently need a GUI based tool, I'd recommend Fon Flash from http://gargoyle-router.com/ - but to make this very clear - it's anyway the second best option to flash Piranha 2 as Fon Flash does e.g. NOT issue a full initialization flash and that might be urgently needed, especially if you're migrating from dd-wrt. Flashing manually is always preferred.

Thanks in advance for considering this,

orange

I dont seem to be able to get karma working.

I have karma brought up and have a Xp making probe requests (another machine with airodump-ng shows the probes)

But the xp machine does not connect nor does the added ssid "test" doesnt show up.

When I try to connect to the fons' "default" SSID my xp and vista machines cannot connect to it, they show strong signal strength but when connecting say that this signal is out of range. Wtf :huh:

i seem to have some issues reconfiguring the wireless thru the web interface. After saying save and apply, the fon needs a power cycle for me to get connected back to it. Is there a log file i can look at for more information? also, what is the wifi0 interface used for?

I've just done an install and baring one issue and one bug everything is working fine.

The issue is that Piranha starts ath0 with a WPA key, that isn't going to work for Jasager. What is happening is that Jasager is reply to all probes, people are connecting then hostapd is doing a WPA challenge. The clients are obviously failing that challenge so being rejected. To sort this I simply ssh'ed to the fon and did a killall hostapd. After that everything worked find.

The bug is in the date column of the connected clients table. I've got a regexp that is allowing through too much information so you get some stuff about openwrt as well as the date. I've fixed that here so will put it in the next release.

Apart from those two, I connected, got an address from dhcp, got port scanned and then could connect to the net.

For anyone using redboot.pl I followed these instructions for doing the flashing - http://piranha.klashed.net/pub/inst

I'll talk to or4n9e offline about what to do with the WPA stuff. I'll probably just add a button to the Jasager interface to say kill it but I'll check first.

The fon doesn't transmit SSIDs as such, all it does is reply to probe requests.

All the probes it replies to are logged in the form

Currently, no, there is no way to see what is in the list.

I wanted to add this but I could only manage to get very limited output from iwpriv commands, not enough to get a list out. I could do it by recording the entries added in a file when they are entered but that would be cheating and not necessarily accurate.

Noob question...(as always).. if you have a fon already hacked with jasager installed as per the original project, is piranha just flashed to the fon as per Darren's original instructions on getting openwrt running??

Is this it and alls well or...