What's it worth AKA am I completely mad?

beakmyn

First off, I'm not trying to make a for sale post since there isn't a forum for that here but I want some opinions as to whether I've gone made on what I'm selling this for:

It's a Sager 8886 (AKA Alienware Area-51). It was marketed as a laptop built with desktop components for the gaming market, that was a few year back. So, it's a desktop processor in a laptop form factor.

15.7" SXGA Active Matrix Display

Intel® Pentium® 4 (533MHz FSB) 2.4GHz Processor

1024 MB 266MHz PC2100 DDR

40.0 GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive

8X Max. DVD / 16X10X24 Max. CD-RW

Smart Li-ION Battery - no longer holds a charge

TV-Tuner with Remote, Detachable MP3 Player Modular

512KB on-die Cache

ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 64MB DDR

Built-in 3.5" FDD

Wavetable 3D Stereo Advance AC97

Touchpad with Scrolling Keys

2 Type II or 1 Type III PCMCIA Slots

Infra Red, Wireless Fast IR interface

4 USB 2.0 Ports - For unknown reasons 2 of the ports stopped working. I'll throw in a 4-port USB hub so you'll have 5 working ports

1 IEEE-1394 Port (6 PIN)

Other Ports: 1 S/PDIF out & microphone in, 1 infrared, 1 headphone, Sony Memory Stick port, 1 parallel, 1 Serial, 1 PS/2 keyboard, 1 SVGA video, 1 S-Video-Out, 1 S-Video-In, 1 RJ-45, 1 RJ-11

Additional Features: Integrated 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN & V.90 56K Fax/Modem

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition Upgrade with COA

Kennsington Contour Carrying Bag with wheels

Auto Switch 110/220V AC Adapter, AC power cord, Multifunction Remote Control, Coaxial Connector

Dimension (H) x (W) x (D) : 2.15"x14.17"x11.77" Weight: 12.0lbs. with Battery

Granted it's a bit dated (single core, 1GB RAM) but it's still good for what most people need. I had on CL for $275 I paid nearly 10x that new. Am I asking too much? I've had no bites and it's frustrating since I'm not wanting to put it on ebay and have don't know of any other way to sell it.

Its to high, the thing is about as well specd as a netbook and its going to be hot and heavy compared to one. If you want more money for it, sell it to someone who knows nothing about computers, local papers etc are a good place to sell from.

As others have mentioned you can get a netbook with basically the same specs for just a tiny bit more, so it's really doubtful that anyone who knows anything about computers is going to buy it at that price, especially with a dead battery.

512KB on-die Cache - wow..

Imho ya you are pushing it there. I would come down to $150.

Here's what I paid $350 for: 1.9ghz dual core amd/2gig's ram(upgrdble to 4), 160gig SATA3 hdd, nv 8200m (plays farcry @full settings perfect). 17" screen.

You just have to remember the extra peripherals dont help depreciation.

So in a nutshell, when you take away the peripherals, here's what you have:

A slow singlecore proc, VERY limited hdd, an outdated videocard, and a few fun extras.

Not trying to be mean at all when I say this but that is just how the market is my friend.

Ya know, you don't have to sell it though! Get an external hdd for more storage, and with the remote it would make a great little media center pc!

Here's what I paid $350 for: 1.9ghz dual core amd/2gig's ram(upgrdble to 4), 160gig SATA3 hdd, nv 8200m (plays farcry @full settings perfect). 17" screen.

A slow singlecore proc, VERY limited hdd, an outdated videocard, and a few fun extras.

Not trying to be mean at all when I say this but that is just how the market is my friend.

Ya know, you don't have to sell it though! Get an external hdd for more storage, and with the remote it would make a great little media center pc!

You're right I wasn't look at it the right way. I was looking at it strictly from the sense of all the extras and not what the hardware was. I've got it up for offers now, no set price.

I thought about a mediacenter pc but I've got a Sony TV with a Bravia Internet Link so I don't need any special hardware to push movies to the TV. I can push it over the local lan to the TV. Beats analog.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

That is a very undesirable laptop. 12lbs is out of control, and desktop components in a laptop form factor usually end up with very bad heat issues and extremely poor battery performance. Even if the battery was brand new I doubt it could even make it threw a feature length movie.

To give you some sort of comparison a local off-lease seller in my town sells IBM T41's and T42's that have PM CPU's, usually a slower clock around 1.7 or so but they have 2MB l2 caches to make up for it, 1GB ram 40GB Hdd, etc etc - performance wise they would be fairly similar yet they have good batteries and half the weight, and he sell's them for $200 each. I think $150 sounds more like it for this laptop, but no matter what the price this could be very hard to sell.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what it sold for. At least it's gone. Now on to bigger and better things.