Aspire One ath5k promisc mode

Segphalt

I recently picked up an aspire one zg5 and installed the latest version of januty with netbook remix. All was well untill i started to try using some of my pen test tools, on my older laptops that have the older ath (with madwifi-ng drivers) cards i have never had a problem dropping a wireless interface into promiscuous mode with (plan to try out the madwifi instead when i get home)

ifconfig ath0 promisc
or
ifconfig wlan0 promisc
on the aspire

The command runs fine, however i cant pick up many types of traffic that i know is occurring from other machines for example http traffic.

Now i have better results if i run airmon and cap all the traffic and convert it to a pcap file and then run tools on the pcap files.

Anyone else having similar issues?

While this solution works, its less than desirable since I can't use the interface while in monitor mode.

I suppose that I could fire up ettercap or arpspoof however i think the machine is a little underpowered for that sort of thing, i have had some issues with heavy hanging when arp spoofing on lower end machines (not to mention routers and os's are getting smarter about stopping such things)

Card is Atheros AR5BXB63

Promiscuous mode not monitor mode guys, they are different (note i mentioned monitor mode at the bottom that works fine with airmon or iw though not with the typical command cause the ath5k drivers have to make a psudo interface). and I've already decided to make the switch to madwifi. cause when i loaded up bt4 on a usb key it worked like a charm.

Thanks though